Author Topic: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest (OpenMoHAA)  (Read 1224 times)

gbudny

• View Profile
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest (OpenMoHAA)
« on: August 18, 2024, 07:55:45 pm »
Hi

I'm one of the users who helped to test OpenMoHAA for Linux x86-64. Recently, Smallmodel (the main contributor) added support for PowerPC. However, nobody tested the Linux client of OpenMoHAA on PowerPC. You can try to build on your Raptor computers if you want to try it.
You can find this project on GitHub,

OpenMoHAA allows you to play a base game plus two official expansions:

- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
- Spearhead
- Breakthrough

Some bugs exist in briefings, music, and a few things that don't work correctly: movies and intros.

However, all levels are now playable, meaning you can play this game from the beginning to the end.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
Re: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest (OpenMoHAA)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 08:25:14 pm »
I am more than happy to give OpenMoHAA a try. Thanks for sharing the news with us
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 08:29:53 pm »

My Raptor Blackbird

gbudny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 07:42:52 pm »
Thank you for the answer.

I see that you encounter an issue when you try to build OpenMoHAA.

I hope your pull request will be merged into a main branch.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 04:41:28 am by gbudny »

gbudny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 04:47:42 am »
@tle

Great! I see that Smallmodel accepted your pull request.

Can you tell me if OpenMoHAA works on your computer?

I noticed Smallmodel made some changes after some suggestions from Cowcat5150

https://github.com/openmoh/openmohaa/issues/332

Cowcat5150 is porting OpenMoHAA to MorphOS, which is a 32-bit operating system for PowerPC computers. I don't know the issues with OpenMoHAA for Linux on Raptor Computers, but maybe you want to try the most recent version.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2024, 02:12:46 am »
@tle

Cowcat5150 is porting OpenMoHAA to MorphOS, which is a 32-bit operating system for PowerPC computers. I don't know the issues with OpenMoHAA for Linux on Raptor Computers, but maybe you want to try the most recent version.

I am unsure because I am still trying to find the game and a Windows machine to install it for the assets files

My Raptor Blackbird

power9mm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2024, 05:23:35 pm »
since this is quake 3 engine i imagine it'd still have the same issues with QVM etc in regards to performance

gbudny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2024, 03:07:01 am »
Thank you for the answers.

@tle

I am unsure because I am still trying to find the game and a Windows machine to install it for the assets files

I use the GOG version of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest, which works with OpenMoHAA. It requires wine to install it on Linux x86-64 if you have a PC.

since this is quake 3 engine i imagine it'd still have the same issues with QVM etc in regards to performance

I think you should try it.

Below are some details:

The main goal of OpenMoHAA is to ensure the future and continuity of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It has always been a dream in the community to provide patches and security fixes for the game. Thanks to the ioquake3 project, F.A.K.K SDK and other quality tools,

OpenMoHAA allows people to fix many issues, and this project reached this state without access to the source code.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 05:33:57 am by gbudny »

power9mm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2024, 01:47:46 pm »

I think you should try it.

Below are some details:

The main goal of OpenMoHAA is to ensure the future and continuity of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It has always been a dream in the community to provide patches and security fixes for the game. Thanks to the ioquake3 project, F.A.K.K SDK and other quality tools,

OpenMoHAA allows people to fix many issues, and this project reached this state without access to the source code.

I don't have a power system currently. I played this game back in the day because it had a linux port, but I liked RTCW and day of defeat a lot more heh... I'm not very interested in it though. Whenever raptor sells power10 systems i'll maybe go back to messing with half life 2 and stalker etc. main thing for me is better support for the ISA from ezQuake and Quake3e.

gbudny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2024, 01:35:39 pm »
Hi

I want to inform you that OpenMoHAA 0.70.0 is available for Linux.

The list of changes is below:

https://github.com/openmoh/openmohaa/releases/tag/v0.70.0

The most important information is the availability of experimental binary files for PowerPC users.

This new version ships with binaries for PowerPC, PowerPC64 and PowerPC64 Little-Endian. Currently experimental and the client may not work correctly.

I hope PowerPC users can join this project by contributing or testing this game.

I don't have a power system currently. I played this game back in the day because it had a linux port,

I had delayed switching to the kernel 2.6.8 on Debian Etch for two years until 2007 because I wanted to continue playing Medal of Honor Beta 3 for Linux. Sometimes, I still play the MoHAA created by Icculus on my old PC with Pentium 4 - it requires the old machine to work.

Interestingly, Operation Nordwind works with this version of the Medal of Honor, which is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMLsOWmFwjc

Unfortunately, the old beta version doesn't support the official mods like Spearhead and Breakthrough, which both work with OpenMoHAA.

but I liked RTCW and day of defeat a lot more heh... I'm not very interested in it though. Whenever raptor sells power10 systems i'll maybe go back to messing with half life 2 and stalker etc.

I guess that everyone has their favorite games.

I had played RTCW many times, but I always preferred missions when I didn't have to fight with monsters.

main thing for me is better support for the ISA from ezQuake and Quake3e.

OpenMoHAA uses the ioquake3 project, but you can ask Smallmodel about Quake3e.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 01:46:44 pm by gbudny »