Author Topic: Radeon Pro WX 9100 GPU on Any Kernel > 5.5  (Read 1585 times)

rheaplex

• View Profile
Radeon Pro WX 9100 GPU on Any Kernel > 5.5
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:00:06 pm »
Heya everyone.

I have a Talos II with an AMD Radeon PRO WX 9100 (Vega 10 XT, connected to a monitor via DP to HDMI). I've tried several distros on it, but currently it has Debian Bookworm installed (I know Debian best but I would happily switch to another distro if needed).

Everything is fine if I build and use the 5.5 kernel from Raptor's git site - I'm typing this on Firefox LTS in Cinnamon/Xorg. I've set the boot console to be VGA in Petitboot and added console=tty0 to the grub command line. Otherwise there's nothing different or special about this setup.

If I try any other kernel, with 4k or 64k pages and any combinations of kernel boot arguments, the screen drops out some time after the kexek message from Petitboot. I can ssh in, and see that the amdgpu module is loaded, but if I try to start Xorg it complains about no matching screens (or devices, if I remove the xorg conf snippet that specifies amdgpu as the default - 5.5 doesn't need this, though).

I'm happy to use 5.5 for now but at some point I'll need to upgrade to a newer kernel.

Can anyone recommend another known-good combination of kernel and configuration for Vega 10?

Thank you.

- Rhea.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Radeon Pro WX 9100 GPU on Any Kernel > 5.5
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 08:42:29 pm »
My setup looks like this:

The AST GPU is connected to HDMI1
The Navi GPU is connected to HDMI2

I blacklist the AST GPU via kernel commandline.
https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Troubleshooting/GPU#I_want_Petitboot_via_AST_but_the_subsequent_Linux_OS_console_on_a_discrete_GPU

This means I boot with AST GPU up to Petitboot. Then switch to HDMI2 and start the desired kernel.

Otherwise, the Navi GPU is not recognised and the screen remains black.

Maybe this is your problem. The Vega GPU should work without problems with all kernel versions up to kernel 5.15. Kernel 5.16 does not work. However, this is not due to amdgpu.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 09:52:11 am »
I have forgotten, on Kernel 5.14/ 5.15 you have to apply this patch or just add
Code: [Select]
amdgpu.aspm=0
via Kernel commandline.

rheaplex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 05:01:00 pm »
Heya MPC7500.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I can still only get the GPU to work under the main OS intermittently if at all.

I'm going to move this to the GPU topic with more information.