Author Topic: Updating PNOR/BMC firmware on talos II Lite  (Read 775 times)

adaptl

• View Profile
Updating PNOR/BMC firmware on talos II Lite
« on: September 28, 2024, 09:12:25 pm »
Hey all,

I'm trying to get my NAVI10 AMDGPU to work with my Talos II lite. I've got the firmware in BOOTKERNFW. Just not sure if that requires an up-to-date PNOR cause this PNOR/BMC is from 2018. Just wondering if I need to update the PNOR to a more modern one to get the firmware to load.

I went on a major month-long mission bricking and re-flashing the BMC/PNOR to discover that my system won't work with the new PNOR/BMC, I even had to get a CH341a to flash it manually. Maybe this is because it's a special developer system with DD2.1-stepped CPU?. Also, I can't build the old version of OpenBMC due to bitbake having fetch issues with github.com, so it's not like I could patch BMC/PNOR myself which sucks, I guess I could bisect the code and figure it out but that would be like 50+ hours of work.

Maybe the solution for me is just to use coreboot or HEADS or something simpler. Does anyone know what the state of that is?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Updating PNOR/BMC firmware on talos II Lite
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 10:30:33 pm »
You probably should be running the most current firmware anyway; there are other improvements. You don't need to update the FPGA, just the PNOR to get Petitboot up to date.