Water Cooler > General OpenPOWER Discussion

risks associated with Xorg / Wayland

<< < (2/3) > >>

pocock:
Actually, I'm hoping that some of the issues will disappear if people use the kernels produced with a regular 4k page size

Problems rooted in the 64k page size are not problems with the ppc64 platform.  Now people have both the information and the choice to use 4k like other architectures.  If a particular fault occurs with 64k and not with 4k, then it is a Wayland fault or something in the drivers.  Nonetheless, the vast majority of users will probably want to use the 4k page size rather than waiting for everybody else to support 64k.

Beyond that, I'm also hoping that Wayland developers will take feedback from users on every platform.

Based on my experience with the way systemd was imposed on the world, speaking as a developer, a sysadmin and a user, I feel that we were used as guinea pigs and I feel we may go through a similar experience with Wayland.  On Debian jessie, the first Debian release to use systemd by default, I encountered a range of issues.  Even today, on systems upgraded to the latest Debian, I still find issues that can be traced back to the introduction of systemd.

Borley:
Addendum to my last post:

I have found Debian 11 so far to be unusable on RCS Blackbird with graphical environments. When loading up Sway WM, the screen renders but transparent objects were showing as opaque and the lines in my terminal emulator where displaying incorrectly.

'Alright, no skin off my back, I'll just use Gnome' I thought. After installing and starting gdm, the session immediately crashes out with a very generic error.

I next removed the GPU to see if I could tolerate using the ASPEED. It is stuck at a maximum of 1024x768  :(

I am currently weighing my options.

pocock:

Did you change the settings to disable Wayland and use regular Xorg?

That is what I'm using (Debian 10) and it is working well

Borley:
I shelved the device, temporarily, while I examine resolutions. I had been using Debian 10 under Gnome's Wayland implementation without issue previously.

With the new installation (Debian 11) I recall seeing "Potential missing firmware" relating to AMDGPU in apt actions, despite having firmware-amd-graphics installed and amdgpu added to initramfs (as I had done on Debian 10), so there may be something I am missing or some regression. I'll start poking around at it soon, I just had to scramble to get a fallback computer up and running.

ClassicHasClass:
I have never been able to get Wayland to run the ASPEED at anything over 1024x768. That said, Xorg is fine with the WX7100 on Fedora 34 (now that the performance issue with graphene is sorted out).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version