Water Cooler > General OpenPOWER Discussion

risks associated with Xorg / Wayland

(1/3) > >>

pocock:
There is regular noise about Linux distributions being on the cusp of abandoning Xorg, e.g. the recent Phoronix article about Xorg being abandonware, which generated many blogs and comments on various platforms.

Talos II and Blackbird users have commented that Wayland isn't working for us.  I personally use Xorg right now, I have this in my /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf

--- Code: ---[daemon]
# Uncomment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
WaylandEnable=false

--- End code ---

Has anybody investigated the Wayland issues on this architecture in any depth?

I don't see any distribution dropping Xorg in the next 12 months but as these machines have a long lifespan, if Xorg is dropped in 2 or 3 years from now then it will be an inconvenience for this platform.

ClassicHasClass:
Wayland works "fine" (for various values of "fine") if you have a GPU. Or I should say, my objections to Wayland remain the same on my T2 as they do on x86_64.

My BMC-only Blackbird ran like glue with Wayland, and this was acknowledged (for various values of "acknowledged") by a Wayland developer I consulted with about it. This did seem to improve in Fedora 33, possibly due to other improvements such as in llvmpipe, but it can't be tricked into generating any larger displays so far: https://www.talospace.com/2020/11/fedora-33-mini-review-on-blackbird-and.html

I should also note I am no longer running gdm at all. I boot to a text prompt and start Xorg or Wayland manually. This also solved a lot of problems.

pocock:
These are positive signs and I suspect there will be enough time to improve these things more before Xorg ever gets dropped by any distributions.

Personally, I found that the display wouldn't work for me with Wayland enabled in gdm.  I'm using an AMD GPU, the RX 580 and it has been very stable with Xorg.

For more widespread adoption of the platform, which will give it more critical mass, not everybody will want to go through a text prompt.  This type of hack is fine for some of us and helps prove what can and will work eventually though.

ClassicHasClass:
Yes, I'm certainly prepared to admit that gdm is part of the problem. A lot of things worked better without it.

Borley:
I have been running Wayland on my Blackbird since the day I got it. There are issues, but nothing that is unique to POWER. In order to record the screen, I have to log out into an Xorg session. While Synaptic and GUFW do not run under Wayland without some modifications for which I have written guides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version