Water Cooler > General OpenPOWER Discussion

risks associated with Xorg / Wayland

<< < (3/3)

xilinder:
On my T2 the stock 4.19.0-17 kernel does run on the ASPEED VGA display 1920x1080 no problems.
(Older monitor max resolution.)

However, when installing the system from scratch I first install only LXDE and then, when up and running,
I will run TASKSEL and install MATE. No GDM, not on the system.

My custom kernels will only run on the WX7100, they are a whole different ball of bees wax, , , Bees included. ::)

ClassicHasClass:
That's what I mean: you can coerce X11 into running the ASPEED at full 1920x1080 but not Wayland, at least not with any means known to me.

MauryG5:
Guys, in the end, from what I'm seeing as time goes by, Wayland represents the near future and Xorg the past now. I have seen and read several articles about it and now the road is that and it is also right because Xorg has outdone him and is an old graphics server. It had been rumored for years that it should be replaced and now the time has come. For now it is obvious that there are the inconveniences of the passage and that everything is not working well yet, but they are all working to make the transaction completely so it is only a matter of time and we will all be on Wayland in a fixed and stable way and I believe that as soon as we will begin to exploit as it should, we will have a significant improvement on everything in my opinion ...

cchinicz:

--- Quote from: MauryG5 on July 05, 2021, 01:09:07 pm ---Guys, in the end, from what I'm seeing as time goes by, Wayland represents the near future and Xorg the past now. I have seen and read several articles about it and now the road is that and it is also right because Xorg has outdone him and is an old graphics server. It had been rumored for years that it should be replaced and now the time has come. For now it is obvious that there are the inconveniences of the passage and that everything is not working well yet, but they are all working to make the transaction completely so it is only a matter of time and we will all be on Wayland in a fixed and stable way and I believe that as soon as we will begin to exploit as it should, we will have a significant improvement on everything in my opinion ...

--- End quote ---

I really hope you're right about Wayland. Every time I've tried it on a Blackbird with HDMI output from BMC I got a Black screen and had to push the shut down button in the front papel.

MauryG5:
Eh perhaps the problem for those without a graphics card is this friend chinicz, from what I'm seeing at least for now, one of the salient features of Wayland is that it needs a dedicated graphics card to work well. I remember that when I installed Debian and I still didn't have the updated kernel and all the rest of the various graphics libraries, I had to quit to get it started in Xorg otherwise it was unusable due to Wayland using 3d management for example for icons. So I think in any case if you want to use Wayland properly, you need to have a nice dedicated graphics card installed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version