Author Topic: Blackbird Down  (Read 1193 times)

markr87

• View Profile
Blackbird Down
« on: November 14, 2022, 12:37:37 pm »
Hello all,

Last week we had a large storm come through and took out our power for a 5 days.  Unfortunately my Blackbird was on when the power died.  Even more unfortunately it will no longer boot up.  It gets as far as where you choose which OS/kernel you want to use and it locks up.  Has anyone here run into this before?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Blackbird Down
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 02:05:39 pm »
After a thunderstorm, I once had the problem that the Blackbird got stuck in a boot loop. I had to re-flash the BMC firmware. I did not even get as far as Petitboot.

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Updating_Firmware

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 09:32:03 am »
@MPC7500 Thanks for your reply.

I have an extra BCM flash rom and have swapped it out.  No change, still locks up at the same place. 
I have the boot sequence set to boot from USB first if present and have tried a Fedora flash drive with the same results. 
If I am quick I can hit "Enter" on the default "Exit to shell" I get the the flashing prompt with about 3 flashes before it locks up. 
I have noticed "STB: VERSION verification FAILED" followed by "IMA_CATALOG verification FAILED" and "Error loading ucode lid. index=202d1" during boot.
I also noticed later in the boot sequence "Bootkernel verification FAILED".

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:13:33 am »
@MPC7500 Thanks for your reply.

I have an extra BCM flash rom and have swapped it out.  No change, still locks up at the same place. 
I have the boot sequence set to boot from USB first if present and have tried a Fedora flash drive with the same results. 
If I am quick I can hit "Enter" on the default "Exit to shell" I get the the flashing prompt with about 3 flashes before it locks up. 
I have noticed "STB: VERSION verification FAILED" followed by "IMA_CATALOG verification FAILED" and "Error loading ucode lid. index=202d1" during boot.
I also noticed later in the boot sequence "Bootkernel verification FAILED".

Try reflashing the PNOR from a known good source, for example here:

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Blackbird/Firmware

The symptoms described sound like the PNOR may have been corrupted in the outage.

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 08:50:17 am »
@SiteAdmin Thanks for your advice.  It is greatly appreciated.

I reflashed the PNOR and no change.  Just to rule it out I then reflashed the BMC to no avail.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 06:29:18 am »
I would open a support ticket and do these steps
https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Troubleshooting/Support_Request_Checklist

Perhaps the PSU has also been damaged as an example. Normally the re-flash should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 06:32:28 am by MPC7500 »

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 08:45:50 am »
@MPC7500,

Sadly that troubleshooting workflow does not directly apply to my situation but I have started a support request nonetheless.  I have also ordered a new power supply as well.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 11:10:00 am »

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 06:49:05 pm »
@All

Still waiting on my Support Request.  In the mean time I have replaced my 13 year old CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro with a shiny new be quiet! Dark Power 12 750W Platinum.  Happy to have the new power supply, but unfortunately my quandary prevails.