Author Topic: [NEWS] Fedora 34 is out!  (Read 6347 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
Re: [NEWS] Fedora 34 is out!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 01:19:48 am »
Guys, about the Kernel 5.11.16 of Fedora 34, our friend TLE said that now it works with the AMD GPU nano even with pages set to 64K. To me personally, with 5700 does not work exactly as it did not work before, nothing has changed from this point and I continue to use my custom kernel in version 5.12 rc1 and as soon as 5.13 comes out I'll make a version tailored for me ...

It sucks that one version bump things could go bonker all over again. Oh well at least 5.12 is now officially out, you should give that a go
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20:52 am »
guys i'm seeing some videos on youtube, related to Fedora 34 and i'm seeing that the x86 version doesn't have the fluidity problems that we encounter instead ... Unfortunately this time they did a bad job on Power and the results are these. I hope that it will be reported as soon as possible and that they do some updates to fix it because it really sucks when you enter the applications ...
Hey Maury, there is something wrong with F34 video drivers, even on x86. I've updated my Dell notebook from F33 to F34 and since then I cannot change the resolution (fixed at 1920x1080) and the second monitor is somehow related to the notebook display, I mean the zoom (%) applied to the note monitor affects the zoom in the external monitor (also Dell) and I had to play a bit until I could restore the previous setting. Now, with the Blackbird, when I open the display settings I see just 4 options for resolution, among them just one 16x9 (1920x1080).

PS: on the Blackbird I'm using the BMC HDMI output.

Intriguing. On my x86_64 Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 7 I don't run into this bug. However I could confirm I do get this issue with the AST 2500 onboard graphic, perhaps you should lodge a ticket with Fedora

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 02:25:38 am »
hi Tle, yes I think we should write to the developers to point this out because this gnome 40 is really bad, too jerky on Power and video cards have nothing to do with it ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 06:33:12 am »
hi Tle, yes I think we should write to the developers to point this out because this gnome 40 is really bad, too jerky on Power and video cards have nothing to do with it ...

As expected, it would take another major release to iron out all rough edges. Please report it to the GNOME Bugzilla with Profiler reports (using Sysprof tool)

My Raptor Blackbird

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 12:50:11 pm »
After using F34 for one week I can say its stable on Powerpc, as the previous versions I'd used (F32/33) before on the Blackbird.

I cannot say the same about x86. In one week it froze twice on a Dell Latitude notebook (known to be "Linux friendly"). The background becomes black&white and I have to force shut down pushing the power on/off button.

I have the same environment on both Power and x86: F34, KDE and the same applications.

It seems like F34 was behind the schedule and was officially launched while still in test. I hope it'll be fixed soon with kernel updates.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 01:01:59 pm »
Even if it is stable, the Gnome is slow and in the choice of applications it jerks if you notice and not good for a desktop interface today ... They have to thoroughly review the general fluidity because they have not taken care of it at all this time unfortunately ... In my opinion from this point of view the Ubuntu team are ahead of everyone, the Gnome 3.38 when you have a graphics card is great, fluid and perfect at all times and it is a pleasure to use it ... They said that do not use version 40 on Ubuntu, in my opinion there is still something wrong, unripe and maybe it's partly the cause of these problems I don't know. The fact is that they still don't use Gnome 40 on Ubuntu 21.04 ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 10:46:06 am »
I tried upgrading the Blackbird the other day, and it wanted to downgrade a few packages, which seemed surprising.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 03:30:00 pm »
Hi guys, I wanted to report a nice bug in Fedora 34, I already wrote it in the comments of the review that the friend ClassicHas did on his Talospace. With Gnome 40, the audio volume when you are on a dedicated sound card as I am, that is with the RME, is at 0 and if you try to raise it back to 0 ... If you put internal audio on the motherboard then it works but if put the dedicated sound card no longer works. I also noticed that in the XFCE environment all this does not happen and works smoothly, so the problem is always Gnome 40, unfortunately it has many critical issues that need to be fixed ... :(

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 05:39:43 am »
Guys I inform you that with the help of Dan from the Fedora Project, whom I thank again, I was able to solve the problem of the audio bug on Fedora 34 that prevented me from turning up the volume.  The problem is what I had suspected for some time, the new Pipewire audio management software, which causes this nasty bug for those who use a dedicated internal sound card.  I performed the little procedure on the Fedora Wiki which makes me reinstall Pulse audio and delete Pipewire and the system is back to working normally.  I already told Dan that he said that as soon as he got my feedback he would inform the Pipewire team.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 05:40:33 am »
Guys I inform you that with the help of Dan from the Fedora Project, whom I thank again, I was able to solve the problem of the audio bug on Fedora 34 that prevented me from turning up the volume.  The problem is what I had suspected for some time, the new Pipewire audio management software, which causes this nasty bug for those who use a dedicated internal sound card.  I performed the little procedure on the Fedora Wiki which makes me reinstall Pulse audio and delete Pipewire and the system is back to working normally.  I already told Dan that he said that as soon as he got my feedback he would inform the Pipewire team.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 11:57:15 pm »

Could you please let me know the URL of the wiki?

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 12:55:40 am »
Here is the link that Dan from the Fedora Project team pointed out to me. https: //fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DefaultPipeWire