General OpenPOWER Hardware > General CPU Discussion

Waiting for the new Power 9

(1/2) > >>

MauryG5:
Well guys, having started 2020 I can't help thinking about IBM and its programs. It has already been mentioned on Twitter but obviously the forum is now the most suitable place to talk in depth about these topics and therefore I would say to start talking about this fantastic new Power 9 processor which however does not yet have a proper name but a way to define it is AXON. There is a nice article about this new series of Power 9, it is said that the increase in power and bandwidth is remarkable, it is also known by now that IBM still intends to exploit Power 9 because there is no reason to switch to Power 10 as Power 9 still has a lot to offer and because the competition is not running too much and therefore you can still focus a lot on Power 9. The production process will still be on the 14th of GF, which then is none other than that of IBM when it still had the production plant which is now precisely owned by GF. I read that it is very refined to the point that it can be compared to TSMC 7, I even know that GF sued TSMC for patent infringement of their current 14-owner process, from where TSMC then pulled out the current 7. .. The agreement between IBM and GF still has a few years of validity, so also for this reason and for the fact that the 14 process is very advanced and current, I think IBM still has a lot to power use on the POWER 9.
So I hope so much to to see something concrete within the year, I am sure that we will see some beautiful ones ... FORCE POWER ALWAYS! ;)

FlyingBlackbird:

--- Quote from: MauryG5 on January 05, 2020, 03:11:46 pm ---There is a nice article about this new series of Power 9

--- End quote ---

Could you add a link to the article? THX :-)

MauryG5:
https://www.hpcwire.com/2018/08/23/ibm-at-hot-chips-whats-next-for-power/

This is article... ;)

MauryG5:
Dear guys from the openPower community, I came across an article today that I think many of them will have already read. This is Phoronix's article about the apete CPUs, apparently a former RedHAt guy who now takes care of Nuvia CPUs, such as Jon MAsters, claims that Power is dead ...! According to him there are no high-level implementations so he died despite the efforts ...! Now I am a little disconcerted by what this gentleman claims because we have seen Power in the last few years always going well in the server field, super compuyter and now he also has a faction of home computers thanks to Raptor ... I therefore wonder how does to support such a thing and declare it in an interview ...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=How-Open-CPU-Importance

ClassicHasClass:
Jon Masters is an ARM shill and his recent statements are disappointingly transparent. I don't hate ARM, but it's not "open" and he twists himself in knots arguing that it's okay to be "open but not that open." It's disingenuous of him, especially given his pedigree in the industry, and we should expect NUVIA CPUs to be more of the same.

Another take on his statements is that NUVIA sees OpenPOWER as a threat. I'm writing an article to that effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version