General OpenPOWER Hardware > General CPU Discussion

Waiting for the new Power 9

<< < (2/2)

MauryG5:
ClassicHas you do well to write the article, I had intuited that this guy is a partisan but I don't know him so I stayed there when I read this article. In my opinion, then it is not just an open source speech more or less, but in general we all know that Arm is anyway an architecture that in the meantime is older than Power, 1986 versus 1991 of Power, then completely fine for embedded and similar, but it doesn't get the power that a Power Server can develop overall! They are only spread thanks to the explosion of smartphones, without which ARM remained a niche CPU! Making certain statements in my opinion is a gamble ...! I hope someone answers him for the rhymes ...

MauryG5:
From the latest news that leaked on this new Power 9 Axon AIO, it seems that it will be compatible with current socks, a new RAM will have to be mounted to make them work. It remains to understand the format they will have. There is already talk of updating Summit, the super computer, when I deduce that the 68.5 X 68.5 Monza / Lagrange type format will be regularly present, to understand if they will make the Sforza type version of 50x50 mm in order to understand if we can use it too with the Blackbird or the Talos II. The next Condor is more likely to use them for example, to be seen, therefore, we are waiting to understand ...

MauryG5:
Open Power guys, apparently it seems that we will have to focus only on Axon, since it is now clear that for Power 10 there will still be a long wait for us. Apparently IBM will not provide open source until I get out of what I understand and so that's why Raptor can't currently do anything based on Power 10. These days we read many articles about Power 10, it has now been made official and therefore the articles flock. There are several interesting ideas, however, I read for example that despite being a Samsung production and unfortunately a Korean one, IBM also this time put its own in the production process and therefore it will be a specific process for these Power 10 and it is not the usual process used by Samsung. They even write that in comparison, the one currently used by Samsung for its Exsinos is a toy. They also say that what IBM boasts in Power's technology, nobody can, frightening technology that only they can have. All this is obviously nice to hear because every time a new Power comes out, it is given as a big jolt to the whole microprocessor sector and this is very pleased considering how it is seen by the ignorant convinced X86 supporters ...! So it is clear that since it still takes time in any case, it will be Power 9 Axon that I think we will have to focus on for the near future and as a possible update. We hope to know more by the end of the year, they said that was

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version