Author Topic: [NEWS] Fedora 33 is out  (Read 8030 times)

cchinicz

• View Profile
Re: [NEWS] Fedora 33 is out
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 03:55:15 am »
Hi guys, sorry but how come you had to uninstall and reinstall this or that package, usually the old package is not always replaced with the new one when doing updates?  But not only on Linux I speak but in general.  It seems strange to me such a problem ...
Hey MauryG5,

I really do not know, but reinstalling fixed the issue with libre office.

What concerns me now is that I cannot apply updates because of the issue I report before (see below, I've copy/pasted here).

Any ideas how to fix the update issue?

Alternatively, how can I roll back to Fedora 32? I've searched but did not succeed. I'd better stay behind with F32 than with F33 which I cannot update.

Thanks

Error messages: (when updating)
Error running transaction: file /usr/bin/epiphany from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/lib64/epiphany/libephymain.so from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/lib64/epiphany/libephymisc.so from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/lib64/epiphany/libephysync.so from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/lib64/epiphany/web-process-extensions/libephywebprocessextension.so from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/libexec/epiphany/ephy-profile-migrator from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.Epiphany.enums.xml from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.epiphany.gschema.xml from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le
file /usr/share/man/man1/epiphany.1.gz from install of epiphany-1:3.38.1-1.fc33.ppc64le conflicts with file from package epiphany-runtime-1:3.36.4-1.fc32.ppc64le

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:09 am »
I found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/564600/how-to-downgrade-from-fedora-31-to-fedora-30

Can I safely use this procedure to downgrade to F32?

Appreciate any feed-back.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 11:56:10 am »
I wonder if you have a package installed that is a prereq but can't be updated itself. Is it all Epiphany (GNOME Web) packages?

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 12:11:56 pm »
I wonder if you have a package installed that is a prereq but can't be updated itself. Is it all Epiphany (GNOME Web) packages?
It seems so, but I'm not a Linux guy.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 04:44:32 pm »
Hi cchinicz, I hope you solve your problems soon because it is a pity not to be able to take advantage of the new Fedora update.
Hi TLE excuseme, but you also installed Fedora 33 if I'm not mistaken, what can you tell us, did you also encounter problems similar to those of your friend cchinicz, or did you go smoothly without problems? The kernel always has the usual bugs for me Navi right? Let us know your first impressions ...

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 02:26:29 am »
Hi cchinicz, I hope you solve your problems soon because it is a pity not to be able to take advantage of the new Fedora update.
Hi TLE excuseme, but you also installed Fedora 33 if I'm not mistaken, what can you tell us, did you also encounter problems similar to those of your friend cchinicz, or did you go smoothly without problems? The kernel always has the usual bugs for me Navi right? Let us know your first impressions ...
Hey MauryG5,

Your words inspired me.. I've remove epiphany package (I've searched and it is a web browser - I wont miss it...) and succeeded updating 700 packages.

Cheers

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 02:34:23 am »
I just wanted to share some thoughts.

I'm a non-technical user, just an enthusiast of technology who bought this fancy and somewhat exotic computer based on a different architecture. Besides playing around and trying to learn new things beyond WinTel, I mainly use my Blackbird for business (mail, office, chromium).

I believe I am not the only one who is at most a power user. I've just learned a lesson, the hard way: do not try to do what you see these guys talking about.

So, this is the message I wanted to convey. If you're like myself just a user, be carefull not to try everything you read here.

I wrote on another post about training. I think that if Raptor wants to make their products popular (which I do not know for sure, maybe their market is more specific, like Universities/Researchers)., they should help educate their customers about their products.

Thank you all who posted here and helped me overcome these issues.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 07:53:44 am »
Great job, so it was that browser that created all these conflicts for you in the end.  Perfect I'm happy for you, I too am a simple Power user but above all a great fan of this Power architecture that I believe is the best ever and has only been underestimated by the mass for various reasons.  I'll wait a few more days and then I'll upgrade to 33 too ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 10:56:56 am »
Just so it's not all bad news here, I got my Blackbird on F33 last night, and will update the T2 tonight. The Blackbird seems to be working fine though it had a fairly vanilla install of F32.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 12:56:31 pm »
Hi Classic, yes I have also updated one of the 2 hard disks that I mounted on the Power system to Fedora 33. For now I have updated the one I use most for testing or the slowest mechanical one and everything went smoothly. The update was downloaded through the Fedora Software Market application and then I did all the installation and all this on Kernel 5.6.19 which unfortunately is currently the last one running on Navi 10 ...! I will test a few more days on this hardisk and then hopefully I will also update the Fedora SSD. The only thing I didn't understand and where are the animated wallpapers that change according to the time, I only see one background available in the predefined walpaper, I can't find anything else, maybe you have to download them from the official Fedora page ... In any case the thing that matters most to me now is to understand when it will be possible to reuse the new official Kernel with Navi 10 ...

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 06:26:24 am »
I'm trying to install Fedora 33 Workstation on my Blackbird but the system hangs in the middle of the install... what could be causing this?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 10:52:08 am »
What do you have installed in your system? On my vanilla Blackbird (RAM, SATA SSD and BD-ROM, BMC framebuffer), I've never had an issue with Fedora installation or upgrades, so it could be hardware.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 09:24:52 pm »
I'm trying to install Fedora 33 Workstation on my Blackbird but the system hangs in the middle of the install... what could be causing this?

I reckon you should remove all but the NVME or SSD then give the installation a go again
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:22 am »

I reckon you should remove all but the NVME or SSD then give the installation a go again

Thanks, actually it seems to be the same problem that I mentioned in another topic, the graphics card doesn't seem to play along with 5.x kernel.
The installation goes through when I remove the graphics card from the system.