Author Topic: Regular users issues  (Read 9702 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Regular users issues
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:14 am »
P. S. Vikings is already a RCS reseller :)

We are an official reseller of RCS products - you can get all RCS products from us on request.
Soon the products will also be available directly from our shop at store.vikings.net.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:37 am »
Where did you see that? I don't see that on their web page or their Tw*tt*r feed.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 11:45:40 am »
I asked them via mail. This was the answer from today.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »
I asked them via mail. This was the answer from today.

Great news! Do you have a URL of their home page for us?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:48:30 pm by FlyingBlackbird »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »
Sorry :)

Vikings

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 07:37:28 am »

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 04:05:39 am »
Hi,

I'm a newbee with PowerPC. I had asked Raptor's support if the Blackbird comes with OS (Debian) preinstalled with the graphical interface. They answered yes.

When I read this thread I got confused. If it comes with Debian preinstalled why would I (I'm a less technical user) bother to install another OS? Although I've done it on x86 directly on the hardware and also as VMs I'd prefer to start with a "working machine" out-of-the-box.

So, when I get the Blackbird, will I be able to use it (as a regular user - email/browser) out of the box? or Will I have to learn how to install the OS on this system?

Thank you all for your patience and attention,
Claudio

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 12:35:14 pm »
Hi,

I'm a newbee with PowerPC. I had asked Raptor's support if the Blackbird comes with OS (Debian) preinstalled with the graphical interface. They answered yes.

When I read this thread I got confused. If it comes with Debian preinstalled why would I (I'm a less technical user) bother to install another OS? Although I've done it on x86 directly on the hardware and also as VMs I'd prefer to start with a "working machine" out-of-the-box.

So, when I get the Blackbird, will I be able to use it (as a regular user - email/browser) out of the box? or Will I have to learn how to install the OS on this system?

Thank you all for your patience and attention,
Claudio

Many people would choose to install their own OS because they either have a favorite OS they want to use instead of the preinstalled one, or they don't trust the preinstalled version for whatever reason (e.g. tampering in transit, etc.).  Since one of the main reasons for people to choose an OpenPOWER system is the fact that they have full control over the hardware, it isn't too surprising that the vast majority of our users exercise that control by loading their own OS and in some cases even compiling and reloading the firmware.  It's not something you have to do, just something that a lot of people choose to do.

The preinstalled OS is perfectly usable for normal tasks.  It is a Debian install with TDE, you could choose a different desktop such as KDE, XFCE, or Gnome if you wanted (apt-get works out of the box).

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 08:45:01 am »

Only if you buy the secure desktop. But you should be familiar with Linux in any case.

FreeHW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 07:36:09 am »
P. S. Vikings is already a RCS reseller :)

Starting this month, Vikings sells Talos II, they announced on 4 November:
https://twitter.com/vikingslibre/status/1324014994502144001

and they already prepared a section in their store:
https://store.vikings.net/openpower