Author Topic: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository  (Read 33376 times)

vddvss

• View Profile
Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository
« on: December 14, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
I am pleased to announce a DNF repository for PPC64LE Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium builds. The repo should work for RHEL or CentOS, but it is only tested on Fedora. These builds only work for POWER9 little endian.

Thanks to awordnot for much of the work on the patches and dftxbs3e for work on Ungoogled Chromium.

Further details and source, as well as tarballs and RPMs that should work on any RPM-based distro, are available at https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le.

Installation
To enable the repository, run:

Code: [Select]
sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo=https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/raw/master/chromium-ppc64le.repo

Alternatively, you can download the chromium-ppc64le.repo file from the repository and place it in /etc/yum.repos.d.

After adding the repository, run:

Standard Chromium
sudo dnf install chromium-browser-stable

Ungoogled Chromium
sudo dnf install ungoogled-chromium-browser-stable

Important Note for Existing Users of Ungoogled Chromium
In order to allow parallel installation of both versions of Chromium, this repository contains a patch to change the default location of the Ungoogled Chromium profile from ~/.config/chromium to ~/.config/ungoogled-chromium.

To use your existing profile with Ungoogled Chromium, simply run:

mv ~/.config/chromium ~/.config/ungoogled-chromium

Notes on Binaries
This build includes a number of additional patches and features:
Patches Included
  • Patch to enable GPU-accelerated video decoding
  • Patch to change the browser's user agent string to be the same as the official Chrome build on Linux, which helps reduce the browser's fingerprinting surface
  • Patch to enable use of POWER VSX instructions in the skia rendering engine
Features Enabled
  • Link-time optimized builds
  • PulseAudio integration
  • Non-free codecs

Build Logs
The logs for the build and repo creation are available under GitLab pipelines.

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:01:45 pm »
Great job, it was a long time since I wanted to understand how Chromium was installed, of which Raptor had spoken well and recommended for Power. Just installed and I must say that it works very well. Thanks vddvss for the procedure!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 04:39:55 am »
Hi, even if I registered at the site where the link takes me, I could not find these patches for the GPU you are talking about ... How should I download and install them if I wanted to do it for my AMD RX 5700 XT in case is compatible of course ... The browser already works very well, but if there is a way to further increase the performance and make better use of the graphics card it would be the best ...

vddvss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »
Hi, even if I registered at the site where the link takes me, I could not find these patches for the GPU you are talking about ... How should I download and install them if I wanted to do it for my AMD RX 5700 XT in case is compatible of course ... The browser already works very well, but if there is a way to further increase the performance and make better use of the graphics card it would be the best ...

Could you go to chrome://gpu then click 'Copy Report to Clipboard`, save it as a file, and post as an attachment here?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »
Sorry but are we obliged to register on the site just to download a patch? It seems excessive to me ... Now for example it denies me access ...

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:28:03 pm »
Sorry but are we obliged to register on the site just to download a patch? It seems excessive to me ... Now for example it denies me access ...

I guess the link is using the wrong path (perhaps to a private repo or the internal CI/CD artefacts).

Nevertheless I think you can find the patches here eg. in the master branch:

https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/tree/master/docker-root/patches/chrome

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 02:37:22 pm »
Yes good Flying, with your link you will arrive direct. But the questions are 2 for me. First, what exactly is the Patch to activate the acceleration of the dedicated graphics card? Question 2, how do you...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:46:13 pm »
I'm wondering what do you want to patch?

Notes on Binaries
This build includes a number of additional patches and features:
Patches Included
  • Patch to enable GPU-accelerated video decoding
  • Patch to change the browser's user agent string to be the same as the official Chrome build on Linux, which helps reduce the browser's fingerprinting surface
  • Patch to enable use of POWER VSX instructions in the skia rendering engine

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 09:00:20 pm »
First, great job in doing this!  Much appreciated.

• Patch to change the browser's user agent string to be the same as the official
While I understand why this is done, it will result in under-reporting of POWER hardware, and my main concern is that Google may look at (in the worst case) no one using POWER (due to the string reporting x86_64) and continue to reject patches.  I don't know if this is a real concern or not, but thought I'd throw it out there for comments.

Worst case the architecture will become just like the rest of the UA string -- spoofed into whatever is most commonly expected for compatibility reasons.  We're not there yet though in terms of market research.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:22:28 am »
yes Tim is right, the use of Chromium Power must not be hidden from Google, we have to show that we are here too and that Power has real support is a community that loves and uses it ...

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 03:27:34 am »
Hi All,

I'm trying to install chromium-browser-stable but getting error 500 when trying to download https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/jobs/682882047/artifacts/raw/docker-root/target/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm

Is this something temporary?

Just for the record, I've succeeded installing ungoogled-chromium-browser-stable.

Thank you all.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 06:57:55 am »
Hi, maybe there is some error in the command you give, I did the procedure as it is done above by the friend VDDVSS. First I installed the rpmfusion repositories for as the first command says, I copied it the same, then I ran the Chromium installation and it was fine and I did it more than once so it ran perfectly ...

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 09:28:22 am »
Hi,

Thanks, but still did not work. I've followed the instructions and even downloaded again chromium-ppc64le.repo and saved (replaced) it on etc/yum.repos.d

One additional piece of information: I had chromium installed before, removed it to try to fix another issue and then could not reinstall it following the procedure described by VDDVSS. I then installed ungoogled-chromium, where I'm writing this reply.

Any other idea? I've copy/pasted the full command/response below.

Regards

[claudio@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf install chromium-browser-stable
Chromium PPC64LE                                                                                 5.8 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00   
Ungoogled Chromium PPC64LE                                                                       5.9 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00   
Dependencies resolved.
=================================================================================================================================
 Package                               Architecture          Version                        Repository                      Size
=================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 chromium-browser-stable               ppc64le               84.0.4147.125-1                chromium-ppc64le                66 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 66 M
Installed size: 287 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
[MIRROR] chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm: Status code: 500 for https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/jobs/682882047/artifacts/raw/docker-root/target/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm (IP: 172.65.251.78)
[MIRROR] chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm: Status code: 500 for https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/jobs/682882047/artifacts/raw/docker-root/target/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm (IP: 172.65.251.78)
[FAILED] chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm: Status code: 500 for https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/jobs/682882047/artifacts/raw/docker-root/target/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm (IP: 172.65.251.78)

The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Error downloading packages:
  Status code: 500 for https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/-/jobs/682882047/artifacts/raw/docker-root/target/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.125-1.ppc64le.rpm (IP: 172.65.251.78)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 10:23:14 am »
If you look at the Chromium Gitlab page there is a download link how to install on other RPM based distributions:
sudo rpm -Uvh https://github.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/releases/download/v84.0.4147.89-1/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.89-1.ppc64le.rpm
This should work.

Edit: Don't miss to "sudo dnf install liberation-fonts"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:49:56 pm by MPC7500 »

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 12:23:06 pm »
If you look at the Chromium Gitlab page there is a download link how to install on other RPM based distributions:
sudo rpm -Uvh https://github.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le/releases/download/v84.0.4147.89-1/chromium-browser-stable-84.0.4147.89-1.ppc64le.rpm
This should work.

Edit: Don't miss to "sudo dnf install liberation-fonts"

Tnanks a lot! Worked!