Author Topic: Fedora Linux Thread  (Read 16094 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Fedora Linux Thread
« on: December 09, 2019, 06:39:13 am »
Hello,

in Fedora is there a GNOME shell extension for IPMItool? At the moment I'm using Sensors GNOME shell extensions, but as you know without fan RPMs.

xilinder

• View Profile
Re: Fedora Linux Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 07:36:24 am »
I'm running Fedora 31. Try  sudo ipmitool sdr  . Works here.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:47:29 pm »
IPMITool works, but what about a GUI, like this one?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:32:08 pm »
I use https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/120/system-monitor/ personally. It's not perfect but it does give me temperature and fan rpm.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:10 am »
This I have tried. How did you lm_sensors working? lm_sensors doesn't detect any sensor.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:25:46 pm »
I don't recall doing anything special, tbh. This is on a Talos II; I don't know if it's different for a Blackbird but IIRC it "just worked."

q66

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:46:50 pm »
here I get the ibmpowernv kernel module automatically loaded to get sensors, on both Talos and Blackbird (but I don't use Fedora). Interestingly, on a POWER8, the same module also provided sensors, but did not get automatically loaded

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 08:39:09 am »
Is there a bug in GNOME? If I select GNOME on the installer, I don't get a login screen after installation. I even can't switch to the console, mouse doesn't react.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:04 pm »
Yes I confirm this your feedback.  I could see that there is a big bug in GNOME version 3.34 for PPC64el.  The problem lies precisely in GNOME as the problem also occurs on Ubuntu as well as on Fedora and is the same problem.  Me if I noticed by chance, when I installed the first time Ubuntu 19.10, after downloading the GNOME 3.34, rebooting the system, just loaded it all, it irreversibly stopped everything.  I had to reboot and realized that there was a big problem and since it worked in server mode, I immediately realized that it could be the GNOME 3.34.  Then I installed Fedora 31 as soon as it came out and did the same procedure as the 30 or after installing the server version, I installed the XFCE package.  I started Fedora 31 and everything was ok.  At that point I decided to install the GNOME 3.34 and after the start there were no problems whatsoever.  I realized that my suspicions were well founded when, due to a mistake, I had to reinstall Fedora.  Yes, because this time I put the GNOME first as a desktop environment and as soon as I restarted Fedora froze exactly the same way as Ubuntu.  At that point I had confirmation of the GNOME problem.  At the same time, however, I realized that if you install the XFCE first and then from inside that, put GNOME then the problem doesn't exist and it works.  If instead you want to put GNOME from the beginning, then everything stops irreversibly.  At that point I also understood that Ubuntu could work in the same way and in fact after the server installation ranking, I put XFCE, then GNOME and so I also made Ubuntu 19.10 work ...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:45:51 pm by MauryG5 »

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 01:47:45 am »
Is there a bug in GNOME? If I select GNOME on the installer, I don't get a login screen after installation. I even can't switch to the console, mouse doesn't react.

Wayland or X? If it's Wayland, that might be your problem. See https://www.talospace.com/2019/11/fedora-31-mini-review-on-blackbird-and.html

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 03:00:33 am »
Classic excuses a question, or rather 2, in the article dedicated to Firefox 70 advised to tell Firefox that we are using Power 9, can you write the precise syntax of the command to give to get this?  Second question, I'm looking for an application to be able to read Blu-Ray discs correctly, VLC isn't currently on Power, do you know what you can use as an alternative?  Thanks

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 09:05:03 am »
Wayland or X? If it's Wayland, that might be your problem. See https://www.talospace.com/2019/11/fedora-31-mini-review-on-blackbird-and.html

Thanks. I will look into it. On the installer, I select "Fedora Workstation". After reboot, I got a blank screen without login window. So I can't choose X or Wayland. Even Ctrl + Alt + F2 doesn't work.

Surprisingly, a few weeks ago the update from 30 to 31 worked without any problems. Now neither a Clean Install nor the update from 30 to 31 works. The same error.

I remember using the GNOME Tweak tool under 30.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 05:08:14 pm »
Replying to two posts:

Thanks. I will look into it. On the installer, I select "Fedora Workstation". After reboot, I got a blank screen without login window. So I can't choose X or Wayland. Even Ctrl + Alt + F2 doesn't work.

Have you tried installing Server, and then converting to Workstation? This comes up with a text boot, but then you can "startx" to go to GNOME. That's how this T2 is configured.

Still, I agree this sounds like a bug.

Classic excuses a question, or rather 2, in the article dedicated to Firefox 70 advised to tell Firefox that we are using Power 9, can you write the precise syntax of the command to give to get this?  Second question, I'm looking for an application to be able to read Blu-Ray discs correctly, VLC isn't currently on Power, do you know what you can use as an alternative?  Thanks

I mean to tell the compiler you're using POWER9. If you're just running a pre-built version, then it's however it was configured and assuming the autodetect works properly. (It should on the Fedora builds.)

However, VLC is definitely in the repositories. Make sure you have RPM Fusion connected up. https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

BD playback may require some bits that Raptor may be nervous about us posting, so just read the Arch Linux documentation about that. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 05:34:10 pm »
yes I just installed it and it works, I also asked in the discussion dedicated to the software and MPC published the procedure thanks to which I installed VLC. The only problem is that I can't see Bluray, I was trying to make AACS work, the library for this task, but I still couldn't do it. I need to figure out how to enable it. Thanks for the link I'm going to take a look

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 06:35:30 pm »
We would ask that you please refrain from any discussion on decrypting commercial DRM-protected media on these forums.  While we are aware that legality varies worldwide, we are US based and this is not something we can tolerate on these boards as a result.

Our official stance is to obtain the media in non-DRM protected form -- for instance, record it from an OTA TV showing (most ATSC/DVB tuners work great wirh unencrypted broadcasts on POWER including software like MythTV), or to simply play the media on an authorized device (i.e. a standalone Bluray player).

It also wouldn't hurt overall to let the studios know you're wanting to purchase a DRM-free version of the movie since you won't be giving them access to your personal data on your PC just to watch a movie.  Having a higher priced DRM-free variant of a movie (compare CD audio to Sirius, for example) has been something we've wanted the studios to consider for a long time.