Raptor Computing Systems Hardware > Blackbird

Keyboard unresponsive at boot menu (Petitboot)

(1/2) > >>

AlbertoGP:
Is this a known issue?
My BB works fine otherwise, but at the boot menu the only key that seems to do anything is CTRL+ALT+DEL, so at least I can reboot.
Any other key interrupts the automatic boot, but otherwise does nothing.

I have tried different keyboards, also plugged directly instead of through a USB HUB.

I remember this working a couple of weeks ago as I was setting it up.
Is this affected by the on-board VGA disable jumper? That’s the only change I’ve made to the motherboard since then. I haven’t updated or modified the firmware (boot/BMC flash), just installed Linux in a SATA drive, which works perfectly fine and I’m using now to write this message.

nglevin:
How are you observing Petitboot, if not through the HDMI output that you have disabled by setting the VGA disable jumper?

Are you observing Petitboot through the serial console?

xilinder:
@AlbertoGP

I have a Talos II. If the VGA/HDMI disable jumper is OFF then the Petitboot screen and keyboard work as expected, and selection of what I want to do is straight forward. If the disable jumper is ON then although the keyboard IS working it does not show on the display.

To select one of 3 OS's I need to count how many times it is necessary to tap the up cursor key to select the OS I want and then hit Enter. Blank spaces are counted as one tap on the up cursor.

So for my setup it's 9 taps for Ubuntu, 15 taps for Fedora, and 18 taps for Debian, then Enter.

Give it a try.

AlbertoGP:
Thanks both, yes that’s exactly what’s happening. If I turn the jumper on the menu works as expected.

xilinder:
Yes, it is a PITA. I do suggest that you simply put up with it until a solution is found that does not involve modifying or adding code to the firmware. Doing that could become a headache in the future.

On my setup I rigged a small toggle switch to the disable pins and mounted it to the front panel. Switch-up, jumper-on. Switch-down, jumper-off. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version