Author Topic: 3U HSF End of Life'd  (Read 1056 times)

Hasturtium

• View Profile
3U HSF End of Life'd
« on: October 02, 2024, 10:40:13 am »
Raptor's page has de-listed the 3U heatsink due to it being discontinued. Has the situation with the modified bracket to accommodate x86 heatsinks gotten to a point where they could offer those in their place? Feels like Raptor's in an increasingly awkward place.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: 3U HSF End of Life'd
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2024, 09:21:48 pm »
Hopefully this is a sign S1 is coming out quickly, presumably with its own cooler.

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2024, 12:24:02 am »
I'll admit I'm excited for whatever they're doing with S1, as it is now Q4 2024. But life has taught me not to work up expectations.

vikings.thum

• View Profile
    • Vikings
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2024, 04:22:50 am »
Hopefully this is a sign S1 is coming out quickly[..]

The "talk is cheap" thing they've got going is kind of nice, until it's not any more. Maintaining a joyful anticipation for Talos III/Blackbird II/S1 systems with no news whatsoever for more than 11 months (with the announced release date ending in less than two months) is probably not something people are going to do.
https://shop.vikings.net
XMPP: thum@jabber.vikings.net
Libera.Chat IRC: #vikings (handle: 'thum')

cy384

• View Profile
    • http://cy384.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2024, 08:35:16 am »
If anyone is desparate for heatsinks, I understand power8 heatsinks are physically compatible.  There are usually some on ebay in various heights.  Some part numbers may be 00RR234, 00RR232, 00E8918, 01KL499.  I think the 3u with fan was only used by Raptor, so there probably aren't many out there.  3D printing a fan shroud is probably not too hard.

Some news would be nice, but I'll admit I'm feeling a little pessimistic.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2024, 08:46:11 am »
If anyone is desparate for heatsinks, I understand power8 heatsinks are physically compatible.  There are usually some on ebay in various heights.  Some part numbers may be 00RR234, 00RR232, 00E8918, 01KL499.  I think the 3u with fan was only used by Raptor, so there probably aren't many out there.  3D printing a fan shroud is probably not too hard.

Some news would be nice, but I'll admit I'm feeling a little pessimistic.

That is news people can use, and it should probably go onto the wiki. I'm with vikings.thum - I love my Blackbird, but the lack of news while prices on existing products rise and components as foundational as 3U heatsinks are delisted feels a smidge like watching the water rise during a bad storm.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2024, 10:25:21 am »
Same. But I prefer that something is only announced when it is more or less immediately available. But what's definitely bad is that we haven't heard anything from RaptorCS since April. Apart from new hardware.

lepidotos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2024, 09:51:52 pm »
It seems SoSi's last LinkedIn post was only three months ago so I don't quite have alarm bells ringing just yet, but it would be nice to at least get like a photo of a prototype board or screenshot or something. We know they're working on it and they've released more information than that like it's compatible with at least one major heatsink format (I'm guessing SF2).

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2024, 11:41:45 pm »
The "talk is cheap" thing they've got going is kind of nice, until it's not any more. Maintaining a joyful anticipation for Talos III/Blackbird II/S1 systems with no news whatsoever for more than 11 months (with the announced release date ending in less than two months) is probably not something people are going to do.

Not even on their Txitter? I haven't been able to check ever since the API got closed off for frontends like nitter.

lepidotos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2024, 12:35:56 am »
Nope, that seems to be where the April date comes from, though they did retweet something posted in May.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2024, 09:07:43 pm »

Not even on their Txitter? I haven't been able to check ever since the API got closed off for frontends like nitter.

Knock on wood, but xcancel.com still works for me in a pinch. Their dead bird site account has not updated since May 16th of this year, when they retweeted something from OpenPower. Prior to that their last update was in February announcing the new BMC firmware, which I have foolishly still not gotten around to installing yet.