Author Topic: [NEWS] Fedora 40 is officially released!  (Read 295 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
[NEWS] Fedora 40 is officially released!
« on: April 23, 2024, 09:29:08 am »
More info: https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-linux-40/

The F40 brings GNOME 46 and Linux kernel 6.8.7. Chromium RPM package is officially supported.

IMHO it is probably the best version for my blackbird till date. All sluggish gfx regression of mutter is gone, everything runs pretty snappy.

amdgpu works out of the box (well the only thing that does not work is no HDMI signal which does not impact me much as I am using DisplayPort)

There are a bit bugs with certain apps for example GNOME Loupe could not open image file.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

DKnoto

• View Profile
Re: [NEWS] Fedora 40 is officially released!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 05:13:48 pm »
Great news, unfortunately the 6.8.x series kernels perform poorly with SSD, below average from the last two years ;)
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 06:37:19 pm »
Great news, unfortunately the 6.8.x series kernels perform poorly with SSD, below average from the last two years ;)

Just curious to know if 6.9 would address this issue
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 02:28:09 am »
What worries me most is the very large variance in SSD performance from version to version. Once it is 4.5 GB/s and the next time it can be even less than 1 GB/s. The best was in versions 6.2.x, there the SSD reading speed often exceeded 6 GB/s.

BTW.Does a machine reboot work properly in Fedora 40? With me on Fedora 39 since kernel 6.6.x, the system crashes after reboot, turns the fans on to the max and I have no video signal on the HDMI of the embedded card. I have to turn off Talos II from the Power button and turn it on again.
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 06:46:24 am »
Well then we can update without problems, it's nice to recover Chromium after years and that the system has finally stabilized regarding the general performance of GNOME.  The initial bugs on Fedora are nothing new, we know that we have to act as a test bed since it updates very quickly, I'm not worried about this in fact, they will fix it soon as usual.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 05:38:45 pm »
the system crashes after reboot, turns the fans on to the max and I have no video signal on the HDMI of the embedded card.

Is fast reboot on or off?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 01:03:59 pm »
I also updated to version 40 and I confirm what my TLE friend said, everything works well on Fedora 40, they have finally made Gnome's performance stable and it's about time I would say. I installed Chromium, I also found the favorites I had on version 87 which were obviously removed because there was no longer support as we all know. Except unfortunately I'm noticing that it has some bugs to fix unfortunately at the moment. I don't know if you too have had the opportunity to try Chromium but at least for me it crashes after a few minutes of use, at a certain point the browser freezes the hard disk starts loading who knows what and then Chromium closes at sudden. Fedora also detects an error on a component and obviously reports it automatically, so the first reports of malfunctions relating to Chromium on Fedora have already started. However, it's great that he's officially back on Fedora, that's what was needed too. Let's wait for them to start solving the first problems now.

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 04:16:40 am »
Is fast reboot on or off?

I have "Auto boot -> Disabled" in the Petitboot configuration, but I haven't changed that since I started using Talos.
I guess it shouldn't make a difference since rebooting worked fine on older kernels?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 05:36:45 am »
Auto boot and fast reboot are two different things and old kernels don't have the same bugs as new kernels.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 04:57:41 pm »
Auto boot and fast reboot are two different things and old kernels don't have the same bugs as new kernels.

Exactly. See https://shenki.github.io/skiboot-disable-fast-reboot/

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 04:46:35 am »
In my system:

Code: [Select]
[root@talos2 ~]# nvram -v -p ibm,skiboot --print-config
NVRAM size 589824 bytes
NVRAM contains 4 partitions
"ibm,skiboot" Partition
--------------------------