General OpenPOWER Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

2u Blackbird Build with 18 cores?!

<< < (2/4) > >>

tle:
Nice server. Great thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. I think mine is due soon too.

Seems to me your 18-core is the 130W variant CPU.

Regarding the CPU thermal, I think your 2U HSF might not be enough to cool the CPU on full load. I am using the stock Raptor 3U HSF on the 8 core POWER9 (02CY649) and at times the temperature reaches to 80C on full load.

deepblue:
The two 40mm fans strapped to the heat sink are pushing quite a bit of air. There is positive airflow moving into the case with an exit out the lid where I drilled the fan port. Its unlikely for hot air to linger near the heat sink. If this were in a non-ventilated environment, it would heat the space up very quickly.

Is there a definitive test that can determine if there is throttling at high temp loads? I wouldn't know because of how low my temps and actual utilization are.

I am using the model below. It looks like its the 190w variant:

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/ibm/power/02cy489

MPC7500:
From my experience I can tell, that a 4-core even clock 3.8GHz at 110°C/ 230°F. I don't know if this behavior is normal. But that's it.

ClassicHasClass:

--- Quote ---It looks like its the 190w variant:
--- End quote ---

Yes, 02CY489 is a DD2.2 18-core @190W.

Borley:
That's a familiar looking CPU fan solution  ;)

If you ever do push it past 10% CPU usage, I would be interested to see if it doesn't shutdown on Blackbird's power contraints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version