Author Topic: Blackbird firmware build fails on Blackbird  (Read 3526 times)

manatails

• View Profile
Blackbird firmware build fails on Blackbird
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:36:51 am »
When building system firmware v2.00 for Blackbird I am getting the following error as seen in the screenshot.

I used the commands from the wiki page: https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Compiling_Firmware
and the same build finishes successfully on another amd64 system.

Can somebody confirm this?
Both systems run Debian buster.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:44:02 am by manatails »

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Blackbird firmware build fails on Blackbird
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:11:07 pm »
So you're saying it's only failing on a ppc64le host?  Can you post the full output log?

We use Debian Stretch to build the firmware (on POWER) internally, as IBM hasn't really tested newer versions of some of the underlying software (the XML libraries are a particular problem, as is Perl).

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:57:57 am »
Yes, the build only fails on ppc64le system, and attached is the full build log file.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:19:12 pm by manatails »

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:00:02 pm »
Can you post the build log from a full clean build?   This one looks like it was restarted, and from the error messages I'm guessing the toolchain didn't compile correctly.

The fastest way to make this work for sure is to install a Debian Stretch chroot, bind mount /proc, /sys, and /dev, then build inside that chroot.  I don't think IBM fully supports the newer software versions in Buster, and from the log I can't (yet) determine why it'd fail on POWER other than it's possible the native compile path is different and somehow broken on Buster.

I'd like to see this fixed, but I'm not 100% sure when I'd have time to get a new environment set up and test build, which is why I'd like to see the full log from scratch build.  Maybe it's something simple (missing package?)   :)

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:56:52 pm »
Can you post the build log from a full clean build?   This one looks like it was restarted, and from the error messages I'm guessing the toolchain didn't compile correctly.

The fastest way to make this work for sure is to install a Debian Stretch chroot, bind mount /proc, /sys, and /dev, then build inside that chroot.  I don't think IBM fully supports the newer software versions in Buster, and from the log I can't (yet) determine why it'd fail on POWER other than it's possible the native compile path is different and somehow broken on Buster.

I'd like to see this fixed, but I'm not 100% sure when I'd have time to get a new environment set up and test build, which is why I'd like to see the full log from scratch build.  Maybe it's something simple (missing package?)   :)

I got the full log file but as it exceeds the attachment file size limit I temporarily uploaded it onto my server.
Here it is: http://3.1.2.2/temp/fullbuild.log

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 12:52:23 am »
I got the full log file but as it exceeds the attachment file size limit I temporarily uploaded it onto my server.
Here it is: http://3.1.2.2/temp/fullbuild.log

Thanks!  Next time you might try compressing it, as it's just plain text I'm sure the compressed version would end up a lot smaller than 42MB...  ;)

Do you see "cc1: error: no include path in which to search for stdc-predef.h" line in the full log on your x86 box?  I have no practical way to test (no easy access to an x86 machine).

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:28:08 am »
Thanks!  Next time you might try compressing it, as it's just plain text I'm sure the compressed version would end up a lot smaller than 42MB...  ;)

Do you see "cc1: error: no include path in which to search for stdc-predef.h" line in the full log on your x86 box?  I have no practical way to test (no easy access to an x86 machine).

Here is the successful build log from an amd64 machine.

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:34:39 am »
Discussed this some with the IBM team, the issue will be handled here:

https://github.com/open-power/op-build/issues/3634

manatails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:50 pm »
Discussed this some with the IBM team, the issue will be handled here:

https://github.com/open-power/op-build/issues/3634

Thank you for reporting it. I hope the patch gets delivered to repos soon.