Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 For Linux  (Read 2719 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Red Dead Redemption 2 For Linux
« on: June 21, 2020, 03:28:08 am »
Hi guys from Power comunity, I just read that apparently, Rockstar Games, is working not only on a Windows version of this crazy game, but also on a Linux version and that even the Linux version is even more performing than its Windows counterpart. Now I wonder, in your opinion, will the sources be made available to develop it for Power as well? For us it would be a great blow because that game is impressive technically and already on Playstation 4. despite the limitations of a hardware of 7 years ago now on balance, has shown really good things. Today with the graphics cards we have at our disposal, I think it could be really great and we would make a quantum leap as a really great game software... What do the experienced programmers among you who already compile games with the sources say about it? Enlighten us... :-)

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 For Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:03:19 am »
I don't have high hopes. It's nice that Linux builds are becoming more common for some games, and even AAA ones, but it's doubtful source will accompany them and that doesn't help us much at all. We need to get to a state where the engine and the game assets are separated as regular practice, and then the engine can be open-sourced to run those cross-platform assets (and the game assets sold to make money for the next game). That's like having to buy a Quake 3 CD to play ioquake3 on my Talos, which I have, and which I do. I have no problem with that.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 01:03:34 pm »
Hi Classic, so in your opinion Rockstar won't give access to the code once the Linux version is available? Can't the same thing happen as happened with Unrial Tournament 4 for example?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 11:51:31 pm »
I have no idea. I'm just saying, the fact that there is (will be, might be) a Linux version doesn't mean it will be open source. A good number of the Linux ports before weren't.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 05:38:33 am »
I understand now, I believed that once you program on Linux, the code is provided given the open source nature of Linux. Of course it won't be easy at this point but let's see, maybe they will make it available, it would be nice considering the game really well done and technically incredible. It would also be a good test for video cards like the 5700 Navi 10 for example ... Hopefully good ...

bw42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:48 pm »
If it runs on Linux natively on x86 someone could try running it on Power using something like Qemu to translate from x86 to Power.

Not sure if that'd work, but would be interesting to try.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
The problem is that through emulation you don't make good use of the hardware you have available and I also believe that there would be some difficulties being a very big game. The interesting thing in my opinion would be to be able to have the code available to make it a version for dedicated Power, at that point you could better exploit the features of Power in my opinion