Hello,

I have the following equipment

* 1x SuperChassis 836BE1C-R1K03B with a SAS-836EL1 backplane
* 8x Samsung 1x 32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM PC4-21300V-R Dual Rank x4 Module
* 16x 3TB 7.2K SAS 3.5'' 6Gbps Hard Disk Drive
* 1x Talos™ II Mainboard (Board Only)
* 2x IBM POWER9 v2 CPU (8-Core)
* 2x 2U Heatsink Assembly for POWER9 CPUs
* 1x LSI 9300-8i 8-port Internal SAS 3.0 HBAI'm trying to connect the various components, get Debian installed so I can start virtualize some workloads (mostly for development and testing). There seems to be a disconnect between the Supermicro chassis documentation and that of the motherboard, especially how cables are connected from chassis.

A couple of questions:

* The backplane SAS-836EL1 comes with an 16 port extender. If I connect it to the HBA, would it be sufficient for the 16 drives?
* Which cable is used to connect the HBA to the backplane? From the backplane documentation, I'm gathering a SFF-8484 is required but the HBA specification states it has 2 Mini-SAS HD SFF8643 internal connectors. I'm a bit lost.
* I'm trying to figure out which backplane cables need to go where. See attached picture. I'm not seeing any codes on them and thus can't figure out which cable they are. I have not removed the backplane from the chassis.
* I'm trying to figure out which power supply cable should be connected where on the motherboard (to be done last). Are there any videos of folks doing a build or going through the process step by step? I really which Raptor Computing Systems can be a bit more proactive, like doing videos similar to the Dell videos, in particular with Supermicro chassis since they claim some compatibility.

Thanks,
Werner

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version