Author Topic: Graphics Card install  (Read 31736 times)

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Card install
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
he tells me he can't find the kernel startup argument because I added the line, the photo doesn't let me post it because he tells me that there is a 128k limit

We've increased the attachment size limit to 1MB.  If your images are larger than 1MB, please rescale down.

Thank you!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 07:37:53 am »
this is the wording that my system carries, where should I put the line you tell me? Second question, should I put it the same as the one I read in your example or should I just put the modprobe blacklist part?

kmarek

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 09:49:32 am »
Add to the last line that says "Boot arguments". The original line ends in quiet

You add modprobe.blacklist=ast and video=offb:off

Overall, your "Boot arguments" line will look like:
Code: [Select]
root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet modprobe.blacklist=ast video=offb:off

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:18 am »
Ok thanks, i try in this mode. as soon as I did I let you know the result, now I'm still at work, this evening Italian time of course, I'll try and write as soon as I get the result ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:45 pm »
guys then I tried to insert the topic, wanted to start but it got stuck in the upload ... only that I'm doing all this without having yet touched anything on the Blackbird, I ask you to confirm if I always have to insert that jumper in the motherboard anyway , before executing this procedure ... otherwise if I don't have to then nothing doesn't work ...

kmarek

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »
Make sure you plug a screen into the AMD GPU, because the AST will not show anything since we're disabling it.

Also remove rhgb and quiet to give us more information about where it gets stuck, if we can see anything.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »
yes the connection I already prepared some days ago because I realized that disables the HDMI output of the Blackbird in fact when it is blocked I selected the second output of the monitor where there is connected the HDMI output of Redeon but nothing was black ... Now I try to eliminate those 2 topics and let you know ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
guys nothing to do, I removed quiet and rhgb, exactly after swap I entered the line, I started but nothing does not work and hangs exactly like before when I sent the photo ...

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 01:30:48 pm »
Anyone know if Navi is still affected by the (in)famous amdgpu.dc=0 / amdgpu.dc=1 bug?  The newest card I have is Vega (specifically to avoid these kind of issues) so I don't have hands-on experience with Navi.

@MauryG5, if you're able to get an Xorg.0.log and a dmesg from the system when it fails to start the display that would be quite helpful.  Even if you have to get the dmesg and log from the machine while the on-board HDMI is enabled at least it might provide some clue.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 01:48:29 pm »
the dmesg I published in the previous posts, if you go backwards in the first or second page, you find my post with the whole report of the dsemg that I did attached ... You guys didn't answer me anymore after I told you that that change on the topic in the line at the start of Linux does not work ... What news do you give me?

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
the dmesg I published in the previous posts, if you go backwards in the first or second page, you find my post with the whole report of the dsemg that I did attached ... You guys didn't answer me anymore after I told you that that change on the topic in the line at the start of Linux does not work ... What news do you give me?

Yes, I see that, but I would also need to know if a monitor was plugged in to the card when that dmesg was captured, and also it would be very useful to have the Xorg.0.log file contents from trying to start Xorg while a monitor is plugged in to the AMD GPU.

One of the quirks with AMD GPUs is that they will not start an output they don't think is attached to a monitor (well, not without significant effort, anyway).  That means if your monitor EDID is broken, you'll never get output, for instance.  Log files will help figure out what is wrong, and if you really want to keep using the Navi card despite the various warnings of instability and general brokeness on the Linux driver stack (again, architecture independent -- x86 is just as bad here) I strongly recommend you either obtain SSH access from another computer, or get a null modem serial cable and attach it to another computer.  This is so that you can try various things and get logs without constantly rebooting the machine.

Broken display on Linux has always been a major pain to debug, even on x86 -- I remember spending a long time trying to get nouveau working back in the day on an older x86 box without SSH access; I eventually gave up and got SSH through a laptop IIRC because it was nearly impossible to fix when you have no working display. :)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:35 pm »
the monitor that I currently use correctly works on both the HDMI ports it has, so I don't think it's monitor. The Blackbird itself works regularly via HDMI on this monitor so I don't think it's monitor. You should explain to me then the procedure to get this Xorg better because I don't know it unfortunately. Some advise me to wait for the kernel in version 5.4, they also tell me that the next Blackbird firmware will allow to enable the card from the beginning ...

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
FYI, I tested this our a month or so ago, with build of the kernel / mesa / etc from git and was never able to get it to to work. I've also just re-tested with Fedora rawhide, and am seeing the same behaviour.

Effectively, the graphics card is detected fine, however no output ports are detected when starting X11, and as a result, no screens are found.
Normally, I'd expect to see something like the following in the X11 log:
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-0 has no monitor section
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-1 has no monitor section
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-2 has no monitor section
[   716.371] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output HDMI-A-0 has no monitor section
[   716.404] (II) AMDGPU(0): EDID for output DisplayPort-0

With Navi 10 on rawhide, I instead see the following (no outputs type are even detected, so it doesn't probe them):
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on AMD NAVI10 (DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le, LLVM 9.0.0)
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): glamor detected, initialising EGL layer.
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): TearFree property default: auto
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): VariableRefresh: disabled
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): KMS Pageflipping: enabled
[  1002.413] (WW) AMDGPU(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
[  1002.413] (WW) AMDGPU(0): Unable to find connected outputs - setting 1024x768 initial framebuffer
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): mem size init: gart size :1fe810000 vram size: s:1f7b70000 visible:fd50000
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Fatal server error:
[  1002.416] (EE) no screens found(EE)

So, my assumption right now is that the current code has a bug on ppc64 where outputs ports are not detected properly. Note that I'll do some additional tests this weekend, but I expect this will require some sort of fix changes in the kernel/amdgpu driver.

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 11:28:19 pm »
FYI, I tested this our a month or so ago, with build of the kernel / mesa / etc from git and was never able to get it to to work. I've also just re-tested with Fedora rawhide, and am seeing the same behaviour.

Effectively, the graphics card is detected fine, however no output ports are detected when starting X11, and as a result, no screens are found.
Normally, I'd expect to see something like the following in the X11 log:
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-0 has no monitor section
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-1 has no monitor section
[   716.370] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output DisplayPort-2 has no monitor section
[   716.371] (II) AMDGPU(0): Output HDMI-A-0 has no monitor section
[   716.404] (II) AMDGPU(0): EDID for output DisplayPort-0

With Navi 10 on rawhide, I instead see the following (no outputs type are even detected, so it doesn't probe them):
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on AMD NAVI10 (DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le, LLVM 9.0.0)
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): glamor detected, initialising EGL layer.
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): TearFree property default: auto
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): VariableRefresh: disabled
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): KMS Pageflipping: enabled
[  1002.413] (WW) AMDGPU(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
[  1002.413] (WW) AMDGPU(0): Unable to find connected outputs - setting 1024x768 initial framebuffer
[  1002.413] (II) AMDGPU(0): mem size init: gart size :1fe810000 vram size: s:1f7b70000 visible:fd50000
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[  1002.413] (==) AMDGPU(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
Fatal server error:
[  1002.416] (EE) no screens found(EE)

So, my assumption right now is that the current code has a bug on ppc64 where outputs ports are not detected properly. Note that I'll do some additional tests this weekend, but I expect this will require some sort of fix changes in the kernel/amdgpu driver.

No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
This isn't a POWER problem, this is an AMD GPU driver / hardware problem.  We're going to need a lot more info including the monitor model etc. -- last time I saw this you had to flip DisplayCore on or off, but Navi may require DisplayCore to operate at all.  If the latter is the case, you'll need to contact AMD support to get the driver fixes.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 01:25:07 am »
ok Merklort then at this point I stop and wait for you to have more information and possibly something correct before doing any operation, with my very little Linux experience I can't do much ... I stay connected let me know thanks