Author Topic: Graphics Card install  (Read 31726 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Graphics Card install
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2019, 08:53:52 am »
MPC I managed to understand the problem of the error that the "make oldconfig" command gave me, I lacked 2 commands one was "bison" the other I don't remember exactly at the moment in any case I installed them both, I installed openssl devel as you told me to do and at that point the make -j 'nproc' command worked and the computer started a lot of kernel building work. Finally I ran the final installation commands and apparently managed to complete everything. Thanks again for your guidance. I just have to understand that activating it via x11, if someone can better explain how to do it, I would be grateful, I am one step away. I have to keep both video outputs because I work with 3 hard drives and 3 operating systems and I always have to select the boot from the petit boot which obviously still works with the integrated video. I need to understand how to activate NAVI 10 and keep the GPU integrated. Unfortunately I don't understand much in the current guide.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2019, 11:55:07 am »
MPC looks at this, I did all the final steps, it doesn't give me errors but when checking the kernel version it still gives me 5.3.16 ... Where do you think the error is? I guess I didn't understand maybe how to do the last steps ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2019, 03:53:28 pm »
so guys, I tried to understand how to activate this graphics card through Xorg, meanwhile I learned that on Fedora there is no Xorg file like on Ubuntu or Debian and that therefore it must be created manually. I used gedit and modified everything to look like this. Now before saving I would like to understand if it is composed correctly or I have to modify something. Above I also posted the result of the grep command in such a way as to make you account for the data that are available to compose this Xorg file ... What do you think? What should be changed in case to be sure it works?

kmarek

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2019, 12:59:48 am »
Woah... RSS stopped working so I fell behind.

I made packages for the kernel with the patches already applied to make this easy.

While there's no reason to trust me, I tried to make it clean and reproducible.
Original fedora kernel source RPM: https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/5.4.0/2.fc32/src/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.src.rpm
My modified source RPM: https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.src.rpm

You can rebuild using rpmbuild, or Mock.
See: https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM
See: https://fedoramagazine.org/how-rpm-packages-are-made-the-source-rpm/
See: https://blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2015/05/11/building-rpm-packages-with-mock/#building-an-rpm-with-mock

My pre-built package can be installed like:
Code: [Select]
sudo dnf install \
  'https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm' \
  'https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-core-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm' \
  'https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-modules-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm' \
  'https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-modules-extra-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm' \
  ;
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:02:25 am by kmarek »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2019, 04:23:59 am »
wow congratulations to you you have done a great job. But listen to a question, what difference is there in your opinion between yours and the one already made published by Merklot on the previous pages, he has both published his with the various steps, and the one already made that you can download from the site and install. ..

kmarek

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2019, 12:34:28 pm »
They're similar. Both are using Fedora's kernel sources (but mine from 2019-12-05). Packages are easier to reproduce and clean up. Package sources contain their own build steps and list of dependencies.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2019, 05:25:12 pm »
Understdood, in any case I installed what Merklot posted, then i'm also trying complete the session of the guide that always posted Merklot to male the Kernel modification by yourself. After all the procedure it still gives me the 5.3.16 Kernel and it's strange because It seems that everything is going we'll, I don't understand why I don't see it in the neofetch command, the modified kernel. In any case I have problems configuring starting the GPU, i'm also asking Raptor why It doesn't work as soon as I insert the configuration file xorg.conf The system hangs and I have to reboot in server mode to remove It... I don't understand... The file is this:

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2019, 12:22:36 pm »
Compare your output of
Code: [Select]
lspci | grep VGA with the lines of the created file.These must be identical.

Note the numbers to the left of the "VGA compatible controller" string. Each of these numbers is the PCI d:B:D.F[note 1] number of the GPU, and is unique to the slot(s) you have your GPU(s) installed in. As a result of this slot dependence, bus IDs may differ from those shown in this example; always use your bus IDs when following the steps below. This slot dependence means that if you move your GPU to a different slot you will need to update the bus ID associated with that GPU.

Locate Bus Numbers

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2019, 03:09:43 pm »
Hi MPC, happy new year to you and to the whole forum, I have already done what the guide says, as you see above I have reported what the guide says and I showed it to Raptor as well, the problem is which doesn't work unfortunately ... Even if I try to configure the graphical modes, it goes into lockout on restart. I don't know why but there is a problem with the Xorg files, it doesn't read them to me, I sent my Xorg.log.0 file to Raptor to see if they can understand what problem I have ... Listen about do you think the kernel because after the procedure I can't see version 5.5.1 as you and the others see it? It seems that everything went well and yet if I do neofetch it tells me that I still have Kernel 5.3.16 ... Do you have any idea what is missing?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2020, 07:35:03 am »
guys I finally solved everything, a special thanks to the friend MPC for his very precious help, he says no but he is much ahead of me with Linux and it shows. Great MPC, thank you all! As a kernel I am using the one posted by Merklot ready and it seems that it works well ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2020, 11:54:04 am »
After all that, what did you do to fix it?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:02 pm »
And hello Classic, happy new year, I installed the Kernel 5.4.0.2 ready, then I put the Xorg file that gave me MPC which was correct compared to mine and the graphics card started.  My problem was apparently that I deleted the comments in the Xorg file that should be left instead.  I thought that they only served to make you understand how to correctly compile the file and instead I was wrong.  If you need I place the Xorg file that I put to make the card work.  Kernel 5.4.0.2 is what Merklot posted on page 5 of this discussion and should be very similar to that posted by his friend kmarek whom I also thank for his valuable collaboration.  Now I have to solve the problem of the sound card but I have the impression that I will have to wait for them because nobody seems to know anything unfortunately ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2020, 12:52:42 pm »
The comments wasn't the problem. Comments are only comments.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2020, 08:26:48 am »
YES there will be maybe also the wording of the drivers which was not exact but consider that I got the wording exactly from the output of the grep command | VGA and I reported it on the Xorg file. The PCI bus was correct, I had put 3 too, Raptor had corrected it when I showed him the file. Other I do not know what could have been wrong. In any case we have solved and thank MPC and all for the collaboration. Sew one day Merklort returns to answer I will ask him why, according to him, despite the procedure I was successful on the other hardisk, I still don't have the kernel installed with the path ... It is very strange because when I installed everything that was missing from the system and compiled and installed the kernel correctly from what I saw, I don't understand there must be something in the last few steps that must be reviewed ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2020, 03:46:49 am »
Sorry guys, now that we have the modified Kernel, when the official updates of Fedora or any other system arrive, those of the Kernel will also arrive, Fedora are among those that update the most kernels. How should one behave at this point? Updating directly could annoy our modified Kernel, I suppose, so what should we do in this case?