Author Topic: Graphics Card install  (Read 33150 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Graphics Card install
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2019, 01:22:48 pm »
Then go to the folder boot and see what file(s) you find with the name config-*.ppc64le.

Googling a little bit
List file names Linux

Code: [Select]
ls /boot/config-*.ppc64le
/boot/config-5.3.16-200.fc30.ppc64le 
/boot/config-5.3.16-300.fc31.ppc64le

What's the problem here?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2019, 02:50:19 pm »
apart from the number 200 for Fedora 30, I can't answer to tell you the truth ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2019, 03:58:37 am »
Unless seeing your last line, I'm making the mistake of starting the penultimate version of the kernel which is 5.3.15, instead of directly accessing the last one which is currently 5.3.16 ... I was doing it because I feared that an error would then compromise everything and I could no longer restart as it has happened to me in the past ... If this is the problem then I use 5.3.16 and that's it ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2019, 09:00:09 am »
So after thinking about it I think I understand that that line of the guide must be changed according to your installed kernel, as you pointed out to me MPC. I used instead of the line: cp /boot/config-*.ppc64le .config, the line: cp /boot/config-5.3.16-300.fc31.ppc64le .config
I realized that it varies according to the kernel in use, thanks to MPC for this clarification. This is why the system has moved forward and made me do the configuration as seen in the guide. After, however, when I am I have entered the command: $ make -j`nproc`
the system tells me that the -j argument requires a positive integer argument and I'm stuck again ... What should I do at this point?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2019, 10:46:34 am »
The -j tells the build system how many processors the kernel should build for. Since your power9 can do 4 threads/processor slice then multiply the number of cores in your cpu by 4 and use that number. 4 cores = 16, 8cores =32.

make -j 16  is for a 4 core power9
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:50:08 am by xilinder »
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2019, 01:20:19 pm »
nothing to do ... I have the impression that for me it will be more difficult than expected curse ... I tried both ways but it gives me error ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2019, 02:15:02 pm »
No 'nproc'

make -j 32

Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2019, 02:59:14 pm »
yes Xlinder if you look at the first line I put the command as you wrote it but nothing has always been an error ... the one with nproc I wrote it just to show that I tried both ... but the first one I did is the yours and gives me error ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2019, 05:52:50 pm »
make -j`nproc` doesn't give me an error …

Little bit of googling
difference between nproc "make -j"

Google again
fatal error: openssl/opensslv.h: No such file or directory fedora

Quote from the thread
To install OpenSSL development package on Fedora, CentOS or RHEL
Code: [Select]
sudo yum install openssl-devel
But it's good that you've made some progress on your own.

nglevin

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2019, 10:32:41 pm »
Stepping in...

As stated before, it would help if you took the time to just go through a book or a tutorial on using a shell like bash on Linux to help with these matters.

make -j`nproc`

That's with backticks, as in the character to the left of a 1 and above the "tab" key in a USA QWERTY keyboard layout. Not apostrophes. These mean different things.

Backticks can be used to execute the command in between before executing the outer command in shells like zsh.

nproc returns the number of available processing units. This tutorial explains how; https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-nproc-command/

So that's equivalent to:

make -j12

On a computer with 12 logical cores.

Either way, you don't really need the -j argument for make. It's to run your build in parallel, to make it faster.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2019, 03:03:48 am »
Guys, thanks to everyone for the advice, unfortunately I can't complete the operation, I cleaned up the older kernels and maybe some files went away, I don't know why I saw that I cleaned up the old ones without touching version 16 but in anyway now it gives me error when i run the command: make oldconfig that didn't give me before. I broke down and directly installed the ready-made kernel Merklot had given me. Now to see if you enable the graphics card I could make the changes on Xorg.conf.d but I can't get into it. The directory is already there, I should just make those changes to activate the card and I would like to keep both HDMI outputs active or both the graphics inside the Blackbird and if possible finally, that of the AMD Radeon Navi 10 graphics card. Can you tell me you how to do it since from the wiki guide I can't understand how to do it? Thank you

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2019, 03:42:43 pm »
I don't know what command you executed. I don't know what kind of error you got.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2019, 12:55:13 am »
At the moment, let's leave the mistake alone, I'll post it to you later. I'm interested in knowing now how to open and fix the Xorg.conf.d file to tell the system that there are 2 GPUs and that it must use both. To open the file I wanted to understand in the meantime if I can always use the command "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or I have to use other. Then what to put for the system to use both GPUs ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2019, 08:38:02 am »
https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Enabling_Navi_10_On_Fedora_31#Configuring_The_Display

AST: At boot (connecting through ssh or a second display
AMD: On desktop

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2019, 11:54:09 am »
MPC so you are not telling me anything, I had already consulted that guide but I did not understand practically anything in particular ... I would like to understand if I have to open that file I was talking about above, if I have to do it via the "sudo gedit" command and what exactly do I have to put in to tell him that I have 2 GPUs to use ... this is my problem now ... I installed the ready-made kernel that posted Meklort so in theory it should be enough just to enable the card and that's it ...