Author Topic: Graphics Card install  (Read 31618 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Graphics Card install
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2019, 04:12:00 am »
You're giving me good news, thanks a lot to you and Madscientist159 for the work you're doing, you're great! Meanwhile I am exchanging emails with AMD support to inform them about the situation, we hope that they will also move directly ... Monday they will tell me I hope something more ... Let me know then when everything will be ready and what I'll have to do ... Thanks again!

q66

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2019, 09:03:39 pm »
I've had success with the patches:

That said, I had to build LLVM from git as well as Mesa from git, because otherwise Navi is prone to hanging right now, even on x86. It could theoretically get solved in a couple weeks with Mesa 19.3 and LLVM 9.0.1, though not sure if LLVM 9.0.1 has the fixes included.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2019, 02:35:26 am »
so you too are working to make these 5700 good news work.  I think that soon you will have the final solution I'm happy ... Let me know when you can use ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »
guys I just read on Talospace that Navi 10 support for Power is coming, apparently I'm already aware of the excellent work you're doing and have already published it ...! Great!

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2019, 04:25:25 pm »
I do read this board too, y'know. :P

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »
wow you are the reviewer of Talospace it's a pleasure to have you here and meet you. In this forum you have the chance to get to know the best Power exponents and all this is fantastic! I asked to give me a hand because I own the Radeon 5700 XT and the guys are giving me a great hand, even the great Tim Pearson himself committed himself and I am immensely grateful to him! I read that Phorinix also learned the news, it went around quickly, great! They are testing the work done, they already work tell me how you can read above, as soon as they finish the tests they will tell me how to activate this beautiful GPU ...

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2019, 06:25:39 pm »
To be honest I'd be very, very surprised if there was a ppc64le specific bug in the AMD display detection.  That code is all straight C, and the bit count and endianness both match x86 exactly.

Thankfully I don't have to do this very often, but...

<eats crow.  mfff, featherpth.>
Used with permission by KnoxTNToday.com

In this case my instincts let me down.  I had drilled in my head for so long "don't use floating point in kernel space!" that I didn't even think to look for an x86-only guard around the DCN code.  I hope the patches make up for it!  ;)

I also have a Navi card coming to play with and help make sure things keep working on the POWER systems in the future.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:01:54 am by madscientist159 »

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2019, 12:35:08 am »
In this case my instincts let me down.  I had drilled in my head for so long "don't use floating point in kernel space!" that I didn't even think to look for an x86-only guard around the DCN code.  I hope the patches make up for it!  ;)
No worries. I didn't really have the time this weekend to work on fixing the issue, so it was certainly good to have you work on it and on upstreaming the fixes.

They are testing the work done, they already work tell me how you can read above, as soon as they finish the tests they will tell me how to activate this beautiful GPU ...
Everything seems to be working reasonably well here on Fedora 32/Rawhide. I'll try to do a fresh Fedora 31 install here (making sure everything works) and put together a quick guide on the steps needed to get Navi 10 working in the next day or two.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:06 am »
Ok Meclort thank you, I don't know how do you get Fedora 32 since the 31 was released only now but you're at an advanced level so I don't ask for anything hahaha. A special thank you, of course, to the great Tim who took care of writing this beautiful code, after this, I have another card to activate and I will have to open another treed and see if we can do the same with that and I'm sure you will succeed, meanwhile I wait patiently for the procedures ... you are great anyway!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:54 pm »
Hi guys, AMD support replied telling me that 1, they don't support Fedora but the systems they currently support are: Ubuntu 18.04.3
RedHat Enterprise Linux 8.0
RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.6
CentOS 8.0
CentOS 7.6
SLED / SLES 15 SP1
As far as support for the Power architecture is concerned, they do not even know what they are talking about, contacting the producers to understand which Hardware to use ...! All this in Italy in any case, I don't know in America, but this is the current situation in Italy. I told him that someone is already working to bring the drivers in the Power version and I told him that in any case the first drivers they released are not good and therefore to work to improve them. I finally tried to explain to them what Power is but I doubt they immediately understand what I'm talking about ...

I hope in you at this point ...

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2019, 10:23:40 pm »
@MauryG5
I put together something on the wiki that has instructions on building a patched kernel and installing it. You'll also need to follow the information on enabling the discrete display.

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Enabling_Navi_10_On_Fedora_31

Let me know if you run into problems.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2019, 01:03:47 am »
they are quite a few steps and it won't be easy since I'm still a beginner on Linux, I'll try to perform the whole procedure and if I encounter difficulties I'll let you know ... thanks a lot

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2019, 07:07:58 am »
sorry but after installing the development tools, you have to do everything that the custom kernel compile link reports ?? It seems to me very complex for someone like me ... I don't think I can compile it I don't understand anything unfortunately ... you can't have one already compiled?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:39 am »
Meklort you have not answered, I wanted to understand this thing well because it is not clear to me not being a programmer as you are. After installing the development tools, can I go ahead and continue the procedure by copying it from the guide, or do I have to go to the Kernel creation link? Because there is my problem because it is difficult for me to do it ... Let me understand ...

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2019, 11:28:43 pm »
The best option would be to follow the guide each step should be listed (in bold). Some steps make take a while to complete. I'd suggest giving it a try before falling back to another method.

If you are unable to get it to work, you can try installing the following prebuilt ones from GigabytePro:
https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-core-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm
https://files.gigabyteproductions.net/srv/devel/linux-navi10/fedora/f32/try6/kernel-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le/kernel-modules-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpm
You'll need to use
Code: [Select]
rpm -i kernel-core-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpmand
Code: [Select]
rpm -i kernel-modules-5.4.0-2.fc32.ppc64le.rpmNote that while this is the fedora 32 kernel, it should be OK on fedora 31.