Software > Operating Systems and Porting

Possibility to install Amiga OS 4

(1/3) > >>

MauryG5:
Good morning to all the Power community, in this discussion I would like to introduce the Amiga question that I haven't seen much to deal with for now but which in my opinion deserves being AmigaOS, an operating system written completely for Power processors. Do any of you know a way to be able to install Amiga OS 4 on our systems? If I remember correctly, I read that they put a sort of block for which only with an Amiga XE machine you can start the installation and run the software. Anyone know more about this story?

ClassicHasClass:
Amiga OS 4 is not compatible with any OpenPOWER hardware, including Raptor family systems.

mparnaudeau:
I confirm that there is no port of AmigaOS 4 on POWER machines. That would be great even if the OS will use a small part of the hardware resources.
And even a BlackBird will be very expensive for this exclusive usage.

@MauryG5 I've never heard about a restriction like the one you described. AmigaOne XE is an old model of NG machines (that is to say standalone PPC motherboards).

MauryG5:
Then I misunderstood the restriction.  I had read an article some time ago that seemed to say this but evidently what I deduced is incorrect.  But sorry at this point the question arises spontaneously, how come it has no compatibility being even Amiga OS 4 written entirely for Power processors?  What makes it incompatible?

ClassicHasClass:
It doesn't know how to deal with the architecture; it's written only for PowerPC-based Amigas, which despite being the same family of CPU, have very different system facilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version