Author Topic: The pride of being Power!  (Read 9559 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: The pride of being Power!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:39 am »
Excellent Classic, then tell us how you configure the new computer, with all the features and any additional cards you will put ...!

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 03:14:41 pm »
It's to become my new primary system. Most of the stuff in my dual-4 will get moved to it, and then the original dual-4 will become a spare. When my POWER6 serving Floodgap finally gets too long in the tooth and the POWER10 systems are out, if the dual-8 is still working well the dual-4 will be put back into service as my new frontfacing server (if the dual-8 craps out I'll just buy a POWER10 then).

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 05:03:11 pm »
I get it. But which model of Power 9 have you decided to put in this new Talos? Yes Power 10 will be phenomenal but it is still far away, but I am waiting more for the new Power 9 which will in any case be a big step forward and will have a lot of power under the hood ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 05:43:54 pm »
Dual 8 core POWER9s (DD2.3), like I said.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 08:42:08 am »
Sorry I have not seen the post where you wrote the type of CPU you are going to mount. I read long ago your article related to the discussion of X86 and Power, their constant comparison and you wrote at some point that Power competes with X86. I am not much with this statement because I know that by nature instead Power has always been superior as an X86 micorproccesore for a variety of reasons. There are too many people who are still very ignorant today and do not realize what is really out there, so I think we should have no problem reiterating this concept in my opinion. Days ago I came across an article where he talks that in all likelihood, Apple from 2021 will bring all the Mac eco system on ARM. Under the article there were obviously several comments and a guy made a comment related to the past that made me angry a lot. He expressed his doubt about this step and wrote that at the time Apple did well to make that step because X86 is far superior to Power PC while now not sure that according to him this step can give real advantages. At that point I replied saying: nice friend you see that X86 has never been and will never be far superior to Power put it on your head. Apple at the time only switched to Intel for commercial reasons, the possibility of running Windows natively and bragging that it was much faster than a normal PC and for the reason that Power heated too much on the portals and therefore it was not possible to mount them and since it has always been their main market on the Mac side, this obviously damaged them a lot. Alche 'replies with even more ignorance and arrogance, making absurd comparisons or Macs of 2005 now no longer updated as hardwere and increasingly in difficulty' obvious and with the increasing handicap of the universal code applied from that moment until end of his days and an Intel system that was increasingly optimized and updated! Obviously that way you see the best performance on X86 we are all so good! In the end I sent him to that country for excessive ignorance and not knowing how to look beyond his nose and I ended the conversation. All this to say how many people are too convinced today, just because one thing has more trade than another but that has never meant that it is the best just because it is more commercial. So I think every opportunity is good to say and point out to these beasts, that Power is another thing and that is above them!

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 10:22:59 pm »
I second that. It would be one thing if any x86 board maker went out, but the loss of Raptor would mean the effective end of something that is quite honestly a rare anomaly in the industry.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

surf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 10:43:40 am »
I just got shipping notification on my dual-8 second Talos II system...

I was wondering how your upgrade went.  I follow your blog and really appreciate your contributions to the community.  With so many options, how did you pick the dual 8-core setup?  For example, it looks like you could get a single 18-core CPU for less than the dual 8, and you would have an empty socket for future upgrades.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 12:06:06 am »
For the T2, you really want both processor sockets filled, or you lose slots (because the CPUs provide the PCIe lanes; it's not something Raptor did to make you buy more than you need). A single-socket T2 would only be useful if you didn't need the expansion and I do. That's really the sales case for the T2 Lite anyway (you need more threads than a Blackbird can handle, but you don't need the expansion options of the full T2).

Anyway, it didn't start off swimmingly but for various reasons not all due to that system specifically. Fortunately things are back in order and I'll have more to say about it when I finish getting all the pieces back together.

surf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I also just saw your blog post--very thorough!  The explanation for filling both sockets makes sense.  I guess I hadn't picked up on that before.

Do you know which CPUs you got?  If some of your tests ran the same then I'm guessing the CPU speed was the same.  From the datasheet I've seen, the 02CY649 DD2.3 8-core part has a 3.8GHz "boost" speed, which would be the same as the 02C297 4-core part.  The "base" frequency is higher, whatever that means.  I'm guessing the CPU automatically ramps to 3.8GHz under load (temperature permitting)?

The datasheet also lists a 02WP000 DD2.3 8-core CPU a 4.1GHz.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 04:56:15 pm »
Derp. It would have been a good idea for me to actually check the number before I installed it, but Raptor's specs (mostly) match the 02CY649.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 10:38:38 pm »
... and, double derp, I could have just asked lshw. Indeed it is 02CY649.

AbstractConcept

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 09:51:19 am »
Thank you for your confirmation of your CPU model info, I was trying to add these to a list on the Sforza wiki page, but it has been guesswork until now. If others could check via lshw what their CPU models are, that could help flesh out the list.

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 08:09:22 am »
My 2x8 T2 shows 02CY089 for both processors.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 04:27:24 pm »
This has me curious now where the Raptor boards are manufactured. It is in the states?

Edit: The boards appear to be produced in Texas according to Phoronix.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:52:46 pm by Borley »
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:42 pm »
Hi Borley, I confirm that Raptor cards are built entirely in the United States of America, I believe that to date they are the only ones that can boast the construction of a motherboard for desktop computers, specifically in the West and America. Power 9 pure is produced in the United States but in New York, a Global Foundries factory that was owned by IBM micro elettronics and which left IBM's proprietary 14 nM production process as a dowry. One of the things I like most about our Power systems is this one, motherboard and processor, all made in the USA, against the rest of the world that is made in China and Taiwan ...! In fact, Raptor is proud of this and I agree with them perfectly!