Author Topic: Void Linux thread  (Read 15298 times)

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Re: Void Linux thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
In this case there isn't one - I switched to using a crossover connection between the BMC ethernet port on the Blackbird and the ethernet port on the Ryzen computer sitting next to it, running Ubuntu 22.04 from a thumb drive.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2022, 03:35:22 pm »
And the IP address of your Ryzen or any other device which is connected with the internet?

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2022, 07:48:37 pm »
Update: the early batch of Blackbird motherboards apparently had a glitch in their BMC firmware that was supposed to be ironed out prior to manufacture. Support was patient and helpful, and sent me a flashing tool and ROM, and things are now working. I'm glad I wasn't *that* bad at following directions, and thank you so much for trying to help.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2022, 05:08:25 pm »
Very interesting.

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2022, 11:00:41 am »
You have to set the correct time / date.

I’ve been trying, but whether I use date within the skiroot shell to set the date or within Void itself, it doesn’t seem to stick. Forgive me, I’m new to this - can you show me how?

edit: to clarify, date appears to update correctly, but hwclock remains firmly convinced that it is June 8th, and nothing I’ve been able to do disabuses it of the notion. I’ve tried syncing the system time to the hardware clock so they’re at least both wrong to the same extent, but networking still doesn’t work

edit the second: I skipped connecting to the BMC initially, which is where I’m supposed to initially set the date. D’oh. I’ll take care of that this week and pray until then.

The options through BMC can be either NTP or manually set. I'm interested to see what works for you, since I've found both to be a bit fussy.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2022, 10:15:17 pm »
I use NTP, though I have a local stratum 1 server on the internal network (GPS).

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2022, 10:17:25 pm »
You have to set the correct time / date.

I’ve been trying, but whether I use date within the skiroot shell to set the date or within Void itself, it doesn’t seem to stick. Forgive me, I’m new to this - can you show me how?

edit: to clarify, date appears to update correctly, but hwclock remains firmly convinced that it is June 8th, and nothing I’ve been able to do disabuses it of the notion. I’ve tried syncing the system time to the hardware clock so they’re at least both wrong to the same extent, but networking still doesn’t work

edit the second: I skipped connecting to the BMC initially, which is where I’m supposed to initially set the date. D’oh. I’ll take care of that this week and pray until then.

The options through BMC can be either NTP or manually set. I'm interested to see what works for you, since I've found both to be a bit fussy.

I ended up doing both: set the time manually, then set a NIST IP address and reset to NTP. Then I selected Both for the clock control after the first time didn’t propagate settings from the BMC/hardware clock to the system clock. I don’t know what the Split option does - anybody have insight there?

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 10:58:23 am »
Another dumb question: I've installed xscreensaver and would like to use it instead of xfce4-screensaver. However, disabling xfce4-screensaver at startup via the Settings Manager's Session and Startup Application Autostart entry doesn't appear to do the trick. And despite entering xscreensaver settings manually and asserting that I want it to run, xfce4-screensaver periodically restarts itself and interferes with the process. What's the best procedure to follow?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 02:57:34 pm »
Dumb question? Good question. I have no idea, I don't use xfce. since it's not a PowerPC specific problem you could ask the void or xfce community, if you don't get an answer here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/

I do the same, because most of my topics aren't PowerPC specific.

I googled, maybe this helps?
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/change-the-screensaver-on-xfce/

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2022, 10:35:56 am »
Just a heads up - it looks like Void Linux ppc64 is winding down, and will be replaced by Chimera Linux going forward. Details outlined here.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2022, 11:07:13 am »
Yes. Easier to maintain and better than Void. Still, too bad, since I'm pretty familiar with Void by now. The Void docs are pretty good.

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2022, 12:00:15 pm »
Regarding Void's (and Chimera's) use of 4k pages, how is this used with Qemu & virt-manager? Virt-manager is nice since it creates the XML for libvirt, but I run into the issue where Qemu complains about wanting 64k pages, but not being able to do so on 4k pages.

The Void PPC doc has an entry regarding this: https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/configuration/virtualization.html
Which specifies to use -machine pseries,cap-hpt-max-page-size=4096.

How is this specified in the virt-manager or libvirt XML? Looking at https://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html, the closest I could find is using <qemu:commandline>, but that doesn't help, nor does adding the page size flag to machine="pseries".

Corvidae

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2022, 07:16:09 pm »
Regarding Void's (and Chimera's) use of 4k pages, how is this used with Qemu & virt-manager? Virt-manager is nice since it creates the XML for libvirt, but I run into the issue where Qemu complains about wanting 64k pages, but not being able to do so on 4k pages.

The Void PPC doc has an entry regarding this: https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/configuration/virtualization.html
Which specifies to use -machine pseries,cap-hpt-max-page-size=4096.

How is this specified in the virt-manager or libvirt XML? Looking at https://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html, the closest I could find is using <qemu:commandline>, but that doesn't help, nor does adding the page size flag to machine="pseries".

Something like this should work:

<features>
    <hpt resizing="required">
      <maxpagesize unit="KiB">4</maxpagesize>
    </hpt>
</features>

It's not mentioned in any libvirt documentation I could find - I think I had to end up reading through the unit tests to find where this option was.

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2022, 09:37:43 am »
Wow, that did it! Thank you!