Author Topic: New firmware V2.00 BMC procedure  (Read 9805 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: New firmware V2.00 BMC procedure
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »
You know you can take screenshots too? You don't have to take pictures with your cell phone. The easiest thing would be C&P.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 05:10:37 pm »
You're right but if I have to tell you the truth I don't know well from a computer I've never done it, yes I know it may seem stupid but I've never done it, my mistake ... :P

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 01:04:25 am »
Did you guys run aground right now that I entered the Blackbird ?! Are you there? What do you recommend at this point? ClassicHas you who did the update, are there problems for which it is better to wait or can you run? Another question, what commands can be used to exploit this root inside the Blackbird and to have more specific information on the various parts such as working CPU cores, CPU temperature and more?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 10:46:23 pm »
ClassicHas you who did the update, are there problems for which it is better to wait or can you run?

The basic functionality works. Where I had the issue was trying to change the network address. If you're not doing that, or one of those people who altered the password file, then it will probably work just fine for you.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:27 am »
no Classic I haven't changed anything, the BMC password that Raptor gave me is still the same. Listen how do I go about making sure I'm not wrong? I'm afraid of doing some damage since I've never done it. Then I would like to know some commands to run to see from the information when you are inside the BMC

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 02:35:55 pm »
well since no one can answer me I will try to be more precise in my problem. So at first Raptor tells me to download, extract and unzip the file and then turn off the Power System. First question: where should I download, extract and decompress the file from the Power System or from the second computer connected to the Blackbird ??? Let's go step by step so I also understand how to do it ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 06:14:32 pm »
You download and extract on whatever system you want to use, but the file to be uploaded needs to be on the "helper" computer, obviously.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 07:49:42 am »
Perfect up to here we are, in the guide it says download and then turn off everything, when my doubt was in this, if I download on Power System and then turn off as I do, however I don't know if he wants it for some reason in any case even the Power System . Well done this, once the files are downloaded and unzipped, does it take a specific directory where to put these files?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »
It seems that no one answers the second question ... In any case, let's unzip these files that I downloaded, after doing so it tells me to turn off the Backbird system, reboot the BMC so I suppose I have to disconnect completely, restart the BMC, then tells me to transfer the unzipped file to the BMC by typing this command: / run / initramfs / image-bmc, is it correct or does it take anything else? Then it tells me that I have to run the command: fw_printenv | grep eth1addr and write down the MAC address, then it tells me that I have to reboot again then turn off the board completely and restart, wait 5 or 10 minutes after which this other command must be done: fw_setenv ethaddr <IPMI MAC address written down earlier> and if I have not misunderstood what is written in parentheses I have to replace it with the MAC address previously marked, up to here have I understood everything well or am I missing something?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:19 pm »
Yes, that's right, or you can get the IPMI address from the sticker on the motherboard.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 07:45:49 am »
ok Classic thanks, I'll try to do all this procedure as I wrote. After this do I have to do anything else?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 05:27:36 am »
Guys good morning everyone, I need a clarification because I have the impression of having made a bit of confusion and therefore not being aware of the versions. Then the procedure I described is that of version 2.00 but that version I actually have already installed it when they installed it directly in Raptor when I had to replace the motherboard. In fact, when the BMC loads, below I release version V2.00 and therefore I start from version V2.00 at this point. I have to install this directly: https: //wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Updating_Firmware#Updating_the_OpenPOWER_firmware. Give me confirmation or denial, thank you.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 07:17:17 am »
sorry guys rectification, all files have been released now so they are both new and to be installed. So I tried to do the procedure but it doesn't work because I don't know where to put the image-bmc file and he rightly doesn't find it. Can you tell me how to do it please? Thank you

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »
First, I need to remind you that if the BMC update is done incorrectly (i.e. if the instructions are not followed exactly, including decompressing the image-bmc file BEFORE transferring it to the BMC, or if your power fails in the middle of the update process), you will need to externally flash the ROM.  Given the realities of COVID-19 worldwide, I wouldn't update the firmware at this point unless you knew you had all the parts on hand to be able to recover a bad Flash (Beaglebone Black / Raspberry Pi, SOIC-16 clip, wires, and a power supply).

That being said:

You need to scp the image-bmc file to /run/initramfs on the BMC, like so:

scp image-bmc root@<blackbird BMC IP address>:/run/initramfs/

Make sure the image-bmc file is ~32MB in size before you do this, and that the host power is off.

That will put the file in the right spot on the BMC.  Once that is done, SSH to the BMC and:
fw_printenv
<write down the MAC>
reboot

WAIT 15 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, INCLUDING POWERING UP OR TOUCHING THE POWER CORD

After this delay, SSH back in to the BMC and run the fw_setenv commands as mentioned in the instructions.

If you did it correctly, the BMC will now be online, but the host will not IPL until you update the PNOR.  There is nearly zero bricking potential there however, so it should be simpler for you to follow (in fact, I would recommend going to https://<BMC IP address> and using the new point+click firmware updater -- it's a lot easier!)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 05:53:50 pm »
Well, so for the time being, I'll do as I'm told, avoid doing it until the emergency passes, maybe it's better. Anyway, at least I want to know when I'm gonna do this update. Your explanation is much more complete for me that I've never done anything like this before, but I'm asking for a clarification if that's possible. The exact syntax of the command I have to execute is this:

cp image-bmc root @ <BMC blackbird IP address I find on the card>: / run / initramfs / ?

If there's something to modify, please let me know so I don't risk making mistakes and not succeed next time either... Thank you very much Tim, very kind!

The unzipped file I think is correct because up to that point I was able to follow the Wiki guide without problems and I got the image-bmc file.

My problem is in the procedure and the commands to execute, the exact syntax because as I told you, I've never done it before, the first update was done by you in the company.