Author Topic: New firmware V2.00 BMC procedure  (Read 9668 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
New firmware V2.00 BMC procedure
« on: February 22, 2020, 08:59:28 am »
Guys, I'm not finding discussions aimed at the new BMC update firmware, more generally, in my opinion there is no real complete guide to updating, perhaps because the news is scattered among the old guides and you go to take parts of them. In any case I would like if it were possible, to group everything in one guide because there are people like me who have never entered yet via external computer, inside the Blackbird and therefore I still cannot do anything to update the firmware. Also it seems that someone is encountering critical issues so before starting any operation, I would like to be sure of both the exact procedure and the possibility of doing it or waiting ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: New firmware V2.00 BMC procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:35:27 pm »
You've never updated the firmware on your system before? Even with the old ssh method?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 03:25:20 am »
Hi ClassicHas, no never done, I never understood how to do it. RAptor did the first update directly to me as I had to send the Blackbird card back due to technical problems. I read the procedure but I didn't understand it very much. Above all, I asked RAptor directly something I don't understand. The procedure says that I have to connect the active heternet port on the BlackBird, the one near the USB ports that we all know, to the internet to get the IP address of the motherboard. My question however is how do I then connect the second computer I need to run the procedure, if the heternet port is already busy for the network? Another problem that I have personally, having as a second computer a Mac with linux loaded in dual boot with Debian, when I am in Debian, if I occupy the heternet port to connect to the Blackbird, consequently I can no longer connect the Mac to the internet because the Mac wifi module is not seen by Debian ... I actually have a few problems as you can see, it's not easy for me ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 09:41:00 am »
@MauryG5
Just a shot in the dark here.

Your Mac has one ETHERNET port and one wifi port. Yes?
and Debian uses the wired ETHERNET port.(?)

How many inputs does your router have for you to use?

If you only have one input available then I suggest you get a ETHERNET switch.

You can then plug several devices into the switch and plug the switch into your router. The modem should see all the devices on the switch and assign each a different IP address. Once you have the address of the BB then your Mac/Debian can talk directly to the BB through the switch.

This is the switch I use. https://www.trendnet.com/products/unmanaged-switch/8-port-gigabit-greennet-switch-TEG-S80g-v4

Be sure to unplug that BB port when you finish or block that ports mac number in the router so it does not connect to the internet.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:58:32 am by xilinder »
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:28:33 am »
Xlinder so you're telling me that to do this type of procedure you have to connect both systems directly to the router in order to access the Blackbird ... I hadn't thought of that ... I use a device that connects to the router via the electricity network to the socket where I then go to connect this device. So I only have one port actually available for Ethernet ... I should expand that one because I don't have the router in the room where I use the computers so I can't connect directly to the router ... A problem then ... If I use the switch on the device connected to the network do you think I can still do what you say?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 11:10:16 am »
Yes, I believe so.
Connect one port of the switch to the device that connects to the router and your two computers to other ports on the switch. Works for me.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 01:18:35 pm »
Well thank you for your information, now I started to understand how to connect at least both computers to the network, I hadn't really thought about it. I will buy a switch and make this connection in the meantime to see if I can get into the Blackbird. Another thing I wanted to ask you, when you are connected, what is the best method to find the IP address of the Blackbird?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
Generally I log into my router and see which IP address is assigned to the mac number.

I also mark that mac number as 'denied' for the internet. That way there is less chance of being hacked. The switch will still allow you to talk to the BB from another computer, but you will not be able to go out on the internet with that RJ45 connection.

I don't have a Blackbird so your mileage may vary.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 07:44:33 am »
well, as soon as I have the switch I immediately try to connect to BB and see the IP address via router. I also wanted to understand if there are currently problems in this update or it can be done without problems. I read the ClassicHas article on Talospace and I was worried about telling the truth, I would not like after problems I have problems due to some bugs ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:31:11 pm »
Xlinder, I managed to see the Blackbird door, I put the command to enter but nothing, after a while I get this message and it doesn't even let me enter the password ... What happens?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »
For one thing the address should not have any spaces. root@number.

Try, ping 192.168.1.4, and see if the BB port is active.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:58:51 pm »
I think it's active ... put the exact command syntax then please ... let's see if it's a space or command problem ... I've tried both as root and as normal user ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 03:05:28 pm »
I wish I knew more about the BB.  :(
Perhaps a BB owner could help more. It could be the server is not running :-\ . ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:07:51 pm by xilinder »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
I don't know I should ask Raptor at this point ... only they can know ... I'll try ... thanks for now

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 04:59:30 pm »
guys it will seem a bit curious but with the Mac I managed to get in ... absurd ... Ok that Mac osX always comes from Unix but from Debian I had tried several times with spaces, without spaces ... I don't know .. .at this point what is the procedure?