Author Topic: Announcement from Raptor / Solid Silicon Corp  (Read 3823 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Announcement from Raptor / Solid Silicon Corp
« on: October 19, 2023, 07:09:19 pm »
A bit cryptic
https://twitter.com/RaptorCompSys/status/1715147706061168822

Edit: Solid Silicon Corp and Raptor Computing Systems Collaborate to Deliver Next Gen Secure BMC Solution Powered by Lattice
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/solid-silicon-corp-raptor-computing-225800382.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 07:21:41 pm by MPC7500 »

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Re: Announcement from Raptor / Solid Silicon Corp
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 08:47:39 pm »
So Solid Silicon + Raptor have created a new BMC, and Solid Silicon + Lattice have cooperated to create a Power10 that isn't encumbered by source availability issues? Is that a possibility? If they're changing the CPU socket that means it's definitely not reheated Sforza + Blackbird/Talos II... but I guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:55:21 pm by Hasturtium »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 03:22:54 am »
I guess Solid Silicon has the related blobs of the Power10 reverse engineered. For this reason, they may not sell the CPU as Power10 and call it S1. I honestly don't see any company launching a new CPU in such a short time. The PowerISA 3.1 has only been around since 2020.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 05:42:46 pm »
Here is the website of Solid Silicon: https://www.solidsilicon.com/

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 12:15:38 pm »
I really hope the new motherboard has nvme slots, and maybe more USB ports. SATA would be nice too.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 09:31:15 pm »
It looks like the truth is considerably more interesting - per our own ClassicHasClass, this won't be a Power10 CPU, but it will be SMT-4 capable and offer competitive features.

AdamJoseph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 10:52:12 pm »
I want to believe in this as much as anybody else here, but the only way this adds up -- and it's still quite a stretch -- is if this chip really is a Power10, possibly with very minor metal-mask-only changes (like the spectre-fix stepping of Power9), and Raptor somehow miraculously talked IBM into this but couldn't convince them to license the "Power10" trademark.  Like I said, quite a stretch.

I'd love to believe that somebody other than IBM is doing an owner-controlled, independently-developed PowerISA 3.2 chip on a leading-edge node.  But that's way into "flying pigs in snowy hell" territory.  It's eight figures just for the maskset on anything newer than Power9's GloFo14 process.  What sort of investor gave that kind of cash to a company which did not seem to exist until this announcement surfaced? (and can I have some? :) )  Not to mention the lead times!  If this was an independent design with any chance of shipping by end of 2024, there would be physical MPW samples already.

I'd love to be totally wrong about all of this.

Even if it is a "white label Power10", there are still a lot of questions.  What's the story with the memory controller?  I saw some comment somewhere suggesting maybe putting a serial-to-parallel (OMI-to-DDR) fanout chip (the heatsinked chip in this photo) inside the same package as the CPU die, along with an immutable ROM for its firmware.  But that too seems improbable... those fanout chips are designed to drive really short traces on the same PCB (this is a big part of the power savings they claim).  The odds that they would be able to drive big long traces passing across a DIMM slot and cardedge seem slim.  None of the other customers buying those chips need that capability (if they did, they wouldn't be fooling around with OMI in the first place).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 11:33:27 pm by AdamJoseph »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 01:39:08 pm »
I really hope the new motherboard has nvme slots, and maybe more USB ports. SATA would be nice too.

Yes. Also hibernation, faster boot times, and adjusting fan curves without recompiling would be nice.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 06:58:52 pm »
S1 is now confirmed a POWER9. There are so many quirks with the way Raptor motherboard arranges components. Notably the PCIe slots leaves no room to install big GPU card.

Here are my wishlist for S1-based Raptor (if they are to use the same name):

* Hibernation
* built-in NVMe slot for host OS
* 4 USB ports: 2x USB type C and 2x USB type A
* 1 2.5GbE ethernet port
* Another PCIex4 slot
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

AdamJoseph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 07:26:01 pm »
S1 is now confirmed a POWER9.

Since POWER9 is ISA 3.0, and the announcement said ISA 3.1, how is this possible?

carlosgonz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 08:55:18 pm »
My wishes it is ReversingEngineering or Hack the 2 Blobs for IBM Power 10 or wait to Power 11 to see what is going on to Condor.
Other wishes to Condor it is Built-in  Kestrel and FSF RYF.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:02:08 pm by carlosgonz »
Blackbird  Rv1.02

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 09:15:09 pm »
S1 is now confirmed a POWER9.

Based on what?

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 11:56:44 pm »
Sorry I was wrong. I misread the announcement. If it is PowerISA 3.1 then it is likely POWER10-compatible..
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 06:43:01 pm »
The is the best news I've received perhaps all year. Hopefully the new design, both boards and chips, uphold freedom and openness before bolting on any new creature comforts.

Other wishes to Condor it is Built-in  Kestrel and FSF RYF.

FSF have not gotten around to Blackbird RYF certification because they have not had the bandwidth to focus on it. Maybe new boards will reignite their vigor.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

lepidotos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 08:23:07 pm »
I mean, is it possible it's a POWER9 with bumped up ISA compatibility? If so, it would be nice if it was still socket compatible, so that people could reuse their old CPUs; I just bought a 16-core 160W 231 a couple months ago. In any case, it's good that it exists at all, but hopefully its successor uses the same socket.