Author Topic: POWER11 on the horizon?  (Read 3475 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
POWER11 on the horizon?
« on: October 19, 2023, 05:43:15 pm »
According to the article on Phoronix (ref: https://www.phoronix.com/news/GCC-PowerPC-Future-POWER11) it's seems to me the bunch of PowerPC-future patches could be that of next revision of PowerISA and likely that of POWER11.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

ejfluhr

• View Profile
Re: POWER11 on the horizon?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 09:28:01 am »
>POWER8 came in 2014, POWER9 was introduced in 2017 and POWER10 ended up being introduced in 2021.

Past processor:  2021-2017 = 4 years
Next processor?  2021+4 years = 2025

r34per

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 11:50:37 am »
It's been about 3-4 years between the next gen POWER cpu release going back to POWER3, so 2025 or late 2024 sounds about right for POWER11.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 01:10:40 pm »
I would say, Power11 is more like early 2026.
Availability of POWER9 was 2018 and Power10 2022.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 04:09:35 pm »
In my opinion it is more convenient to wait for Power 11, at least as far as I'm concerned, at the moment I don't need to advance so I'm perfect with Power 9 and then apparently there is more possibility that 11 will be completely open as Raptor wants. The only thing I hope is that at least after all the money spent on research and development for 2 nanometers, they can use it with Power 11!

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 05:17:16 pm »
I see it similarly. However, I could become weak if the new system has certain advantages and is offered at a favorable price. There are a lot of things that could be improved on the current system.

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 06:52:12 pm »
In my opinion it is more convenient to wait for Power 11, at least as far as I'm concerned, at the moment I don't need to advance so I'm perfect with Power 9

I find that performance is still adequate for my needs. At this point, an upgrade would just be to get shorter IPL and boot times and maybe suspend to RAM.

and then apparently there is more possibility that 11 will be completely open as Raptor wants. The only thing I hope is that at least after all the money spent on research and development for 2 nanometers, they can use it with Power 11!

I'm prepared to ride out Power9 for years if it's successor are never properly reopened.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 08:42:38 pm »
I suspect you're not the only one in that boat.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 08:58:52 am »
I'm fine with my eight core Power9. The only other desktop I'm plotting is a baseline Mac Studio for video editing and multimedia use.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 12:01:46 pm »
Me too, actually. I still have an i5-13600KF, 6700, Win11 for gaming, a MBP M1 and a Mac mini (2009) with MacOS Monterey.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 01:31:04 pm »
If anything I'm most interested in is IBM returning to its core open source design, so that it has a Power 11 processor that's exactly as open as a Power 8 or Power 9, I'm not going to buy Power CPUs. that they are not IBM because their technology is the best ever for their processors and I don't think that any other company, no matter how good, can reach their level and therefore I don't intend to change companies for these microprocessors. IBM creates it and IBM must produce it or have it produced by one of its direct partners to be the best, this at least is my humble opinion and then obviously it is debatable by anyone.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 03:31:18 pm »
If anything I'm most interested in is IBM returning to its core open source design, so that it has a Power 11 processor that's exactly as open as a Power 8 or Power 9, I'm not going to buy Power CPUs. that they are not IBM because their technology is the best ever for their processors and I don't think that any other company, no matter how good, can reach their level and therefore I don't intend to change companies for these microprocessors. IBM creates it and IBM must produce it or have it produced by one of its direct partners to be the best, this at least is my humble opinion and then obviously it is debatable by anyone.

I mean, if it makes you feel better it's all but certain that the Solid Silicon S1 is a Power10 with open components replacing the previous closed-source bits. There's not another explanation that makes sense within the timeline of their operation.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 06:04:06 pm »
It's also historically important to remember that Motorola/Freescale and AMCC, at least for awhile, were at least as important chip fabricators as IBM during the days of O.G. PowerPC. No one batted an eye at buying a G4e 20 years ago, but IBM didn't make those (they made the G3, the 7400, and later the G5). It's not a bad thing to get back to that again even if it turns out this is an IBM design.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 09:32:53 am »
To be honest, the MPC74xx was not bad. The only problem was the manufacturing facilities of Motorola/Freescale.

And the MPC86xx was better than the PPC970. It just came a bit too late, unfortunately.
But in the end, Apple got exactly what they paid for.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 12:37:20 pm »
Yes friends, we agree, I know well that this new soc is a Power 10 and I also know perfectly well that at the time Motorola produced the various series of Power processors in the home version, i.e. PowerPC, together with IBM. Except that at the time it was very different, Motorola we all know that it was another great microprocessor manufacturer and it was the only one that was able to produce excellent versions of this family of CPUs. But let's remember that in any case it is still a slightly revised series for home and not Power processors for servers like we now have and let's always remember that Motorola was Motorola! Now the Power CPU, the real Power CPU is only IBM, even if another company takes the license and produces it, don't forget that the main thing that other companies' products have in common are the instructions. But the manufacturer then makes the CPU, the performance of an IBM product is not that of another manufacturer and vice versa. we know this because we have several examples on other architectures of how performance changes from manufacturer to manufacturer and yet they are always with the same ARM or they are proprietary processes and rest assured that Samsung's 7 nm is not IBM's 7 just as GF's 14 was not IBM's which in fact made its owner use 14... For all these things I say that in any case, it is very difficult for third-party companies to be able to come close to IBM quality also for reasons of investments as well as of technology possessed. For all this I reiterate that for me only IBM in my home and therefore I really hope that with Power 11 they can return like 8 and 9 or totally open so that we can go back to mounting IBM and have their power again in our home like now with P9!