Author Topic: Black screen instead of petitboot menu with AST (no GPU installed)  (Read 3942 times)

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
I have played around with a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti in the PCIe port but did not manage to use it with nouveau, so I have removed the card from the mother board again.

Now I can see the boot process via AST at my display until it finishes (progress bar at them bottom) and then the screen becomes black.

Obviously also no operating system is booted automatically (after the usual 10 seconds timout) - playing with the cursor keys and pressing enter does also not have any effect.

How can I diagnose this or reset petitiboot?

I have not changed any Blackbird firmware so it should work OOTB...

Edit: I have already tried the usual cold boot (power off) and unplugging any devices (PCIe and SATA)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:09:23 pm by FlyingBlackbird »

xilinder

• View Profile
Re: Black screen instead of petitboot menu with AST (no GPU installed)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:07:33 pm »
Have you removed the AST disable jumper?
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:15:35 pm »
Have you removed the AST disable jumper?

Check - yes

I have tried to connect to OpenBMC via SSH but no success so far (IP address is correct according to the MAC address).

But ssh root@<my-ip> says:

> ssh: connect to host x.x.x.x port 22: Connection refused

I have not even the chance to enter my password :-(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:44:29 pm by FlyingBlackbird »

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:06:50 pm »
OK, after attaching my SATA HDD I can boot into petitboot but it hangs (keyboard not working, 10 seconds timeout not working and SSH still refuses the connection).

Really frustrating moments :-(

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:44 pm »
I guess, you tried ssh root@blackbird ?
Ethernet is connected next to the USB ports?
Did you also try to switch off the PSU for two minutes? And then power on again.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »
EDIT: This post is irrelevant - it is the result of trying to use an NVIDIA card + disabling AST via the jumper but forgetting to remove the jumper again later

Did you also try to switch off the PSU for two minutes? And then power on again.

I have connected the correct Net3 adapter (above the USB port) and can see the IP address in my router (MAC address is correct).

I did already switched off the PSU for longer (at least 15 minutes) - last resort is no to completely unplug it.

I have attached a picture of the petitboot screen (keyboard does not work - not even in different USB ports - but works on another computer).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:17:47 pm by FlyingBlackbird »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:14:25 pm »
About the keyboard, take a look at this thread.
Maybe did you blacklist the AST?

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:16:42 pm »

I have connected the correct Net3 adapter (above the USB port) and can see the IP address in my router (MAC address is correct).

I did already switched off the PSU for longer (at least 15 minutes) - last resort is no to completely unplug it.

I have attached a picture of the petitboot screen (keyboard does not work - not even in different USB ports - but works on another computer).

The image shown is a classic symptom of the VGA disable jumper still installed.  Please triple check the correct jumper was removed, and power cycle (pull power from the wall and wait for all lights to extinguish) if the problem persists.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 04:15:13 pm »
The image shown is a classic symptom of the VGA disable jumper still installed.  Please triple check the correct jumper was removed, and power cycle (pull power from the wall and wait for all lights to extinguish) if the problem persists.

Thanks for reminding me :-)

In fact the system is having the problems as described in the first posts, I have just tried to use the NVIDIA video card to bring back petitboot and forgotten to remove the jumper again so my last post with the picture is misleading - I will edit and mark it as irrelevant to my problem...

I have removed the jumper and the darkness is back again (black screen after the progress bar has finished)

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:24 am »
I have my wireless mouse & keyboard connected to the internal USB2 port on my Talos II with a USB extension cord to a powered hub. (The hub is not required.)

Just FYI, not suggested as a cure. :-X
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 05:31:10 pm »
I still have the problems described in the first post.

To avoid lengthy posts in this question I will close this question.

I have opened a new question that contains detailed logs now for better diagnostics and a more precise question:

https://forums.raptorcs.com/index.php/topic,52.0.html