Author Topic: WD Black SN850X not showing up in lspci  (Read 971 times)

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
WD Black SN850X not showing up in lspci
« on: May 10, 2023, 05:34:11 pm »
Running out of development space on my T2 and switching my 1TB Samsung 960 EVO for a 2TB WD Black SN850X. However, lspci doesn't see it at all (either Skiroot or Fedora).

The 960 EVO in the same M.2 card adaptor works fine, and the WD Black in a USB 3.0 enclosure also works fine (and I was able to partition and rsync to it, so the drive is probably fine).

Anyone using this SSD?

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Re: WD Black SN850X not showing up in lspci
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 09:05:15 pm »
I did not run into that problem, but did have issues with a Western Digital SN700 and a no-name NVMe adapter a while back. That ended with me basically writing off NVMe storage on my Power9 build - currently everything is running off a 256GB SATA Samsung 870 and a 4TB Samsung HDD for storage/backups. But with the right adapter and a compatible drive, I'd love to try again.

Wishing you luck. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: WD Black SN850X not showing up in lspci
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 09:14:06 pm »
This system has worked very well with a Samsung 960 EVO (500GB) boot volume and /home on the 1TB 960 EVO. They're both in no-name craptastic adapters. I'm going to try a different one that's advertised specifically as PCIe 4.0 compatible (these are 3.0), though I have a sinking feeling that's not the actual problem. I suppose in the worst case I get another Samsung and use the Black as an external drive, but that seems like a waste of a very fast SSD.