Author Topic: Initial findings running on water cooling  (Read 1778 times)

Woof

• View Profile
Initial findings running on water cooling
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:12:03 am »
I'd like to share my early, initial findings water cooling (finally!) my Talos II using this kit with some Thermal Grizzly paste:

https://store.vikings.net/en/water-block-assembly-for-power9-cpus

I have dual 18-core CPUs, testing with only one CPU for now. I'm running on a test bench, with a simple AIO radiator/pump/reservoir combo (Alphacool Eisbaer). I'm stressing the CPU using my own benchmark (I do numerical 'stuff') so I have the same on Threadripper, Apple M1 Ultra, etc. A photo of the messy test bench is attached.

The numbers with the big, noisy HSF are in the mid-70s (Celsius, I'm not a savage...) with the fans running LOUD! And with the water block it's mid-40s, with the fans stalling on the radiator because they're running so low. It's running silently, which is very pleasing!

Next is to get the second CPU plumbed in.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Initial findings running on water cooling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 01:43:44 pm »
Very nice. The trick will of course be making a case out of that. Where were you thinking of putting the external radiator?

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 02:01:47 pm »
I'm building with a custom loop, this radiator is just for testing. I have a couple of the McPrue, erm, Mac-inspired cases I'm building into, squeezing E-ATX motherboards and water cooling.

The Threadripper build needed custom brackets designing and printing to replace the case closing mechanism. The T2 motherboard is a little smaller so fits fine (it just needed extra standoffs drilling and threading). Next is to work out the mounts for the reservoir, and decide whether I'm going to try with a dual pump or not.

Both still need a custom solution for the power connectors.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 02:44:51 pm »
What case is this? :)

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 03:06:03 pm »
McPrue Apollo ATX:

https://www.mcprue.com/store

A very expensive, hand-built Mac Pro clone. It's like the Dune case, but it actually shipped and some dude didn't run off with mine and everyone else's money. They're very nicely made but too small for building E-ATX into, at least without the extra work.

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:22:43 pm »
I was horny about the Dune case but fortunately I held off on the purchase ;-)
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 12:24:21 am »
Apparently, fo' realz this time, Dune is back in production.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:40:15 am »
McPrue Apollo ATX:

https://www.mcprue.com/store

A very expensive, hand-built Mac Pro clone. It's like the Dune case, but it actually shipped and some dude didn't run off with mine and everyone else's money. They're very nicely made but too small for building E-ATX into, at least without the extra work.

That's what I call a real case, even if it is a bit expensive. I would stay away from the Dune Pro case.

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 09:09:17 am »
They are really well made, and easy to strip down to make any mods (they unscrew entirely into panels). The maker is also open to customising them for buyers, so custom holes added, that sort of thing.

Dune was just a big waste of money and time, and the 10 or so folks who did get them weren't that happy with the quality.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 09:25:36 am »
Sounds good. Oh this about Dune Pro I never heard off.

Edit: You could also add the case to the wiki: https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Talos_II/Hardware_Compatibility_List
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:44:59 am by MPC7500 »

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 10:13:13 am »
Once I've documented the changes required, I'll add it to the list. If you're taking the sensible air cooling route, apart from losing the top USB ports it's just a bit of hole drilling and threading.

ejfluhr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 07:59:11 pm »
That is awesome.    Do you know what the power difference is running the same benchmark air-cooled vs. water-cooled?

Are you thinking of boosting frequency higher on the CPU since it is running cooler & lower power?

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 12:29:26 am »
I'm concentrating on fitting in all into the case at the moment. My priority was quiet, then I'll delve into what else it brings and what I can do.

Until I have it all running I won't know the temperature over ambient I have with the single radiator, single set of (pull) fans, and the enclosed box.