Author Topic: [changed my mind! keeping] Blackbird, 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM, & Radeon Pro W5500  (Read 1286 times)

Hasturtium

• View Profile
edit: I had hit a stumbling block of frustration after a number of other stressors in my life built to a peak this past week. If I were to sell the Power9 so soon after getting it, I would regret it a lot. This machine's been a wonderful learning experience, and is a lot of fun to use.

After a period of initial experimentation I've come to the conclusion that the ppc64le architecture will not serve my needs the way I had hoped. All my equipment is in perfect working order, and has spent its life under light load and connected to a high quality UPS. Here is what I am offering.

- Blackbird mainboard, v2.00
- 8 core CPU (v2)
- 3U heatsink, with fan direction reversed to work better in most PC cases
- 2x16GiB ECC DDR4 registered memory
- 8GB Radeon Pro W5500 with original box and accessories
- screwdriver for installing the heat sink (optional)

I am in the continental United States - the Dallas area of Texas, specifically - and will pack all items well and securely for shipment. While I would prefer to ship within the U.S. I am not opposed to international shipping; we can work something out. PM me here, or email me at freontrip -at- live -dot- com directly. I have a specific price in mind, but I am willing to keep the graphics card and sell the rest if that works better for you. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 01:14:01 pm by Hasturtium »

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: [SELL] Blackbird, 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM, & Radeon Pro W5500
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 09:08:14 pm »
Sorry to hear that. What didn't meet your needs?

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Re: [SELL] Blackbird, 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM, & Radeon Pro W5500
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 01:16:26 pm »
Sorry to hear that. What didn't meet your needs?

Honestly, it's nearly all been great. Sometimes dealing with snags in video support isn't fun, but I've got it running Fedora 37 with Xfce and a Radeon Pro W5500 with 64KB kernel pages, and it's quite snappy. As I edited the main post to show, I have dealt with a number of stressors IRL that have built to a head, and was thinking of how to apply the money I'd recoup by selling it. But if I did that, I would not only regret it, but the likelihood that I'd be able to revisit owning a piece of Power hardware would be quite low. So I am sticking around, and may ask a few more questions than I have to date. Thanks for checking in!

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Excellent!

For me, my T2 meets pretty much all my needs except Turbo Tax and Android development, and I'm working on the latter in fits and starts (if nothing else, getting the build tools to run under QEMU).

MauryG5

• View Profile
I agree with Classic, it's a pity that you want to leave our Power world, I understand that sometimes there are things that become a bit difficult to manage because of the imperfect support but I also think that one of our major strengths it is the cohesion and unity to be able to solve gradually all the problems that arise. You think that at the beginning I had a lot of small problems, I had to send the Blackbird to you twice in America and from Italy I assure you it's really expensive. I had bought the Radeon XT 5700 which still didn't have support and so I was with a $500 graphics card that I couldn't use. Yet slowly with patience and above all the help here from all the guys in the Power and Raptor community, we managed to solve all the problems and now I am very satisfied with my Power system as well as very proud and proud to have an exclusive computer, with my favorite processor architecture and that in Italy above all I think almost nobody has! So I feel privileged and reading these things obviously makes me very sorry because we need everyone in the community to make Power grow! So come on, don't give up!

Hasturtium

• View Profile
I'm sticking around, don't worry about it. :)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Perfect great choice!  Very happy to hear from you! :D

vikings.thum

• View Profile
    • Vikings
Stickin' around like a proper German climate activist glues themself to the road, I hope. POWER is probably going to be one of the very few options we have in the foreseeable future.

I guess this topic can be closed?
https://shop.vikings.net
XMPP: thum@jabber.vikings.net
Libera.Chat IRC: #vikings (handle: 'thum')

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Yeah, I am in for the long haul. Closing up shop here.