Author Topic: HighPoint SSD7505 RAID tools for ppc?  (Read 1915 times)

jas

• View Profile
HighPoint SSD7505 RAID tools for ppc?
« on: July 29, 2022, 02:27:56 pm »
Hi.  I have a Talos II Lite with HighPoint SSD7505 with Samsung 980 PRO and Kingston KC3000 drives in it.  Everything works fine, and I'm using Linux md-raid which isn't really optimal for SSD/NVMe devices.  Has anyone managed to configure the SSD7505 device for RAID from a ppc machine?  Or do I have to move the SSD7505 to a x86 platform, run the proprietary HighPoint stuff (which I haven't even tried yet) to configure it, and then move it back?  I'm reluctant to do that unless I can find a good guide that is tailored towards Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora users with the device.

Woof

• View Profile
Re: HighPoint SSD7505 RAID tools for ppc?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 06:29:00 am »
I have a HighPoint SSD7580A and the same issue. I'm running the drives without RAID for the time being, but was also planning on using Linux on an x86 to configure the card.

vikings.thum

• View Profile
    • Vikings
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:06 am »
Slightly off topic:
What is your reasoning behind "mdraid is not optimal for SSD/NVMe devices"?

In my experience the exact opposite is the case: hardware RAIDs are inflexible, often require proprietary tools (as is the case with the HighPoint adapters) and can't be fixed without the device/propr. driver/tools . If there's an issue with an mdraid I can fix it with any other computer and with tools I have ready on any other computer.

In our data center HBAs with mdraid are the gold standard if a RAID is required.
https://shop.vikings.net
XMPP: thum@jabber.vikings.net
Libera.Chat IRC: #vikings (handle: 'thum')

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 12:36:22 pm »
I bought a HighPoint SSD 7502 adapter for my Talos II and I am unhappy with it. With only one CPU, it's a misunderstanding. I knew I was going to have RAID problems and was mainly concerned with accessing two SSDs. Unfortunately this adapter takes up a long PCI slot and I can't use it together  with a video card.
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter

jas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 01:02:52 am »
Slightly off topic:
What is your reasoning behind "mdraid is not optimal for SSD/NVMe devices"?

In my experience the exact opposite is the case: hardware RAIDs are inflexible, often require proprietary tools (as is the case with the HighPoint adapters) and can't be fixed without the device/propr. driver/tools . If there's an issue with an mdraid I can fix it with any other computer and with tools I have ready on any other computer.

NVMEs generate more heat (and draw more power) when writing compared to spinning disks, and mdraid can cause quite a lot of write activity (rebuilds) that could be optimized a bit by reading&comparing before doing a write.

Otherwise and in general I agree with you, and I'm now running mdraid on the NVMe SSDs on these devices so we'll see how it works.

/Simon