Author Topic: System cleaning  (Read 5001 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
System cleaning
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:06:08 am »
Hello to the whole forum, after a period of use, I think we all have the classic problem of filling the "root file" on Linux and the consequent appearance of the famous message that this file must be freed. What do you recommend to do it best? I have read some guides on the internet but they have not helped me much, apart from the classic cleaning of the browser cache I do not know how to proceed to do the cleaning that the system would like ... Obviously I am not referring only to the root file but in general to the whole system, what should be done to clean everything obviously ... I also tried the "street sweeper" application but it doesn't work ...

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
Re: System cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:10:07 am »
I am not sure having understood what exactly you mean...

Can you please quote the "famous message" you get?

Is your root file system running out of space? Or your boot partition?

If it is the boot partition this is usually caused by the kernel updates taking a lot of space and you have to uninstall them via your package manager
(keep the last two or three kernel updates in case you have boot problems with the most recent kernel)...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:35:38 am »
He talks to me about "root file system" in general almost full file system. In the analyzer I saw that the "USR" Directory is the one in red and therefore the main suspect. On Kernels you are right, in the past I have done the removal, I have to do it again now, but apart from the kernel I wanted to understand what else I can eliminate and how ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 09:27:50 am »
@MauryG5
I am not familiar with "street sweeper" on Linux. There is "sweeper" which is part of KDE.

Each Distro of Linux and which desktop you are using have different ways and programs for doing the same thing. Please note which installed system you are using so people with knowledge of that system can help you best.

If you are using only one distro and desktop then simply add that to your forum signature, along with some hardware info. 8)
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:28 am »
I rectify the previous message sorry, the directory concerned is that of the photo, "/" I removed the old kernel but I gained little. How free is that directory? Yes, I don't have much experience on Linux. I started a few months ago. I use Fedora with 16 GB of RAM and in this case a 250 GB SSD hard disk. I'll post the photo of the analysis

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:08:34 am »
Your system partition (root) has only 14 GB space? This is not enough! No matter how hard to you try to clean-up the space, this will become your daily job ;-)

Can you resize your partition using the "disks" tool? You will not loose your data but to be sure you can create a partition backup (image file) with the disks tools too...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:58:46 am »
I understand, so I have to increase the root partition ... I made the automatic installation not practical and therefore I made him do everything I did not know that by default he uses 16 GB and instead need many more ... But apart from this, how do you think I can free up some space in those 16 GB? It's possible?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 01:39:56 pm »
now that I see everything I don't think I can recover much space in the end, I need to increase the partition as you say, I just don't know how to do it. Trying from the disk management and doing partition redesign, I tried to set up a larger amount of space but it doesn't make me do it, can you tell me how to proceed without doing damage? Thank you

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 01:40:04 pm »
But apart from this, how do you think I can free up some space in those 16 GB? It's possible?

- Uninstall software that you don't need (/usr is quite full)
- Clean-up your home folder (eg. downloads and temp folder)
- Delete log files you find in /var

But again: 16 GB is nothing ;-)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 02:30:10 pm »
yes of course there are few, I would like to expand the partition, if I have not understood correctly I must first disassemble, then I should be able to modify and then finished resizing it will have to be reassembled I think ... am I right?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 02:35:11 pm »
Not 'disk management'. Disks.
It might be in your Accessories > Disks.
Click the partition you want to expand, click the Additional Partition options icon (usually looks like little gears), then select Resize.
If you only have the '/' and 'swap' you may need to delete the swap first then resize '/' and then add a new swap, so leave at least 16GB for swap.
I'm not real familiar with Fedora. :(
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
the disk utility is located exactly where it is on Ubuntu and therefore Debian. The problem is that I currently have the largest partition that I should resize to make room for the file system but it does not allow me to resize I don't understand why ... The partition is 249 GB and I would have the possibility of reduce it but it won't make me do it ... Why?   >:(

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 03:32:24 pm »
the disk utility is located exactly where it is on Ubuntu and therefore Debian.  ... The partition is 249 GB and I would have the possibility of reduce it but it won't make me do it ... Why?   >:(

Since this is not a Power9 or Raptor specific problem but a Linux one I suggest searching and asking for answers at stackoverflow, askubuntu or some other Linux forum.
IMHO there you will find a much bigger audience to provide quick answers.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 03:51:54 pm »
currently the situation is this, as you can see I have 99% full root and therefore I have to increase a lot, while I have to resize / Dev / sdb2 which has 367 GB and uses only 9.5 ... how do I therefore remove from Dev / sdb2 and add in root ?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 05:11:32 pm »
I'm not sure....but, if you have 3 partitions, sdb1 - sdb2 and sdb3, if you have nothing on sdb2 you can use DISKS to delete that and swap then resize sdb1 and add back swap. Do you have anything on sdb2?