Author Topic: [DEV] Testing out Fedora 37  (Read 1176 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
[DEV] Testing out Fedora 37
« on: August 22, 2022, 08:26:37 am »
Fedora 37 looks very promising. The 5.19 kernel is still buggy at the time of this writing so I fallback to the 5.18.17 (of Fedora 36). The 5.19.3-300 runs perfectly fine now

My first impression is how MUCH MORE responsive mutter of GNOME 43 has become. The GNOME shell is quite snappy just like of the old days of GNOME 3.38.

Many apps have been ported to GTK4 and libadwaita and I expect more apps to follow in the GNOME 44.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 05:23:06 am by tle »
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: [DEV] Testing out Fedora 37
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 03:30:34 pm »
I'm having trouble even with 5.18.18 (SATA devices not showing up). I'm still on 5.18.13 so my optical drives work.

Good to hear about GNOME, but I've mostly gotten KDE Plasma working the way I want it on F36 and it's a lot snappier.

Right now my showstopper is compiler issues.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 07:02:56 pm »
KDE Plasma is no doubt better. I am also using it on my Lenovo thinkpad X1 laptop.

What's with the compiler issue just curious

I'm having trouble even with 5.18.18 (SATA devices not showing up). I'm still on 5.18.13 so my optical drives work.

Good to hear about GNOME, but I've mostly gotten KDE Plasma working the way I want it on F36 and it's a lot snappier.

Right now my showstopper is compiler issues.

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:14:33 pm »
So they finally started fixing the big problem Fedora suffers with Gnome from version 40 onwards I'm glad ... Only now maybe there is a version of Chromium missing that updates regularly like Debian-based distros ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 07:22:30 pm »
What's with the compiler issue just curious

I'm getting odd errors from gcc building current Firefox in debug (per @sharkcz it does work in opt). I'm toying either with downgrading or using clang for this go-around.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 05:21:06 am »
So they finally started fixing the big problem Fedora suffers with Gnome from version 40 onwards I'm glad ... Only now maybe there is a version of Chromium missing that updates regularly like Debian-based distros ...

It won't happen anytime soon. My time is very scarce these days (I'll rather spend it on family). Besides my machine is taking AAAAGGGGEESS to get the whole thing compile.

My Raptor Blackbird