Author Topic: News, discussions and problems, about the new Kernels on Power  (Read 2204 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Greetings to the whole Power community, I thought that in order not to always create new discussions about each Kernel that comes out, make a single discussion that can contain all the main news and problems of the new Kernels on Power. I start immediately with the first test on the new 5.19.1 Kernel just installed and which seems to work without any kind of problem.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
Re: News, discussions and problems, about the new Kernels on Power
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 05:22:31 am »
Greetings to the whole Power community, I thought that in order not to always create new discussions about each Kernel that comes out, make a single discussion that can contain all the main news and problems of the new Kernels on Power. I start immediately with the first test on the new 5.19.1 Kernel just installed and which seems to work without any kind of problem.

Fedora 37's 5.18.3-300 now works fine for me too. Let's hope 6.0 does not break things...again
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 04:40:12 pm »
Hi TLE friend, yes I saw that you talked about it in the new thread dedicated to Fedora. I confirm what was said at the beginning that is that 5.19.1 goes perfect and without problems, we hope that with the new version 6 there will be no new problems, but if it should happen, I will immediately make sure to promptly report any bugs to all of you to search to remedy immediately. For version 5.17.X a great job has been done so that it has been fixed definitively in subsequent versions. As usual, as soon as the first stable version comes out, I will immediately try the compilation and installation to test and see how it goes ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 02:30:42 pm »
Good evening to the whole Power community, as you have known for some time now, I like to install and test the first stable version of every new Linux Kernel that comes out and now it's time to test version 6 that makes a generational change like you you all know well. I must say that being a version with more changes, I thought it might have some bugs but luckily it seems that everything is going well ... Let's see over the next few days how it behaves but if as they say, good morning sees from morning...

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 04:58:43 am »
If you can then test the operation of XFS. I mean such a case when root directory is on XFS partition and during normal system operation we will turn off the power by pulling the cable. Won't Petitboot hang on startup when reading this partition.  Version 5.12.17+ leaves the XFS partition in such a state that Petitboot is unable to read it properly, the kernel module crashes.
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 10:44:08 am »
I'm testing the mainline of 6.1 on Ubuntu a bit, it seems that everything is fine at the moment. As soon as the stable version 6.1.1 comes out I will compile and install it on Debian. At the moment no bugs to report, at least at startup which is usually always the most critical part of a new Kernel...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 02:29:31 pm »
Here is the new Kernel 6.1.2 being tested on Debian 11.6. It seems that everything is going well!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 05:54:07 am »
As I already wrote on the Debian 12 post, Kernels from 6.2 onwards don't work at the moment.  I tried with 6.2.10 which I already had on 11.6 and that worked without problems, I tried with 6.2.13 and now with the new 6.3.1.  Unfortunately at the moment there are problems and these Kernels don't work... This is what comes out at the end of loading Debian 12...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 12:34:03 pm by MauryG5 »

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 10:31:33 am »
On Fedora all kernels of the 6.2.x series work, sometimes better, sometimes worse but they work. Recently, even the 6.2.14-200 kernel reached a historical peak in SSD read performance: 6.6 GB/s.

If I were you, I would consider changing the distribution.
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 02:27:15 pm »
Friend Dknoto, until now I too have no Kernel problems and indeed, with Debian 11.6 I was running 6.2.10 as Kernel without any problems. The problem arrived with Debian 12 which I don't know why it currently has this problem but it is clear that it is specifically about Debian 12. Honestly, since I have been with Debian I have found myself perfectly fine and it will certainly not be a small problem like this one that will make me change distros and I can tell you that I abandoned Fedora instead because it became a general crap between regressions and loss of direct support to Chromium for example. There are also too many criticisms due to the fact that they update immediately to let us users test everything. In the end, Debian 12 is still in the pre-release phase and therefore I think that in the final version they will fix this small inconvenience. I just wanted to report so that people like my friend Daniel Pocock are aware of these little bugs to go and then fix them in the final version.

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 02:48:08 pm »
We have different points of view, I last used Debian something around 1995/6. I'm glad I don't have to use it but I wouldn't call it crap ;)
I didn't use Chromium either, for me the most important thing is maximum compatibility with RedHat but also access to the latest software, even at the cost of being a tester.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 03:31:06 pm »
I would equate Fedora with Debian testing. More or less. If you don't want to be a tester, then just use RHEL, CentOS, Circle Linux, Rocky Linux or AlmaLinux instead of Fedora.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 04:56:58 pm »
Well, a long time has passed since 1995/96, a few years ago I could even agree with you as Debian was still far behind in terms of Kernel and performance in general on Power and was also a little too behind in my opinion in terms of packages. But from Debian 11 onwards things have definitely changed and in my opinion Debian has become a point of reference for us at Power for its good general performance and for the proverbial complete reliability it has and also now it is better updated as packages. If you try Debian now you have an excellent experience of general use, this problem I repeat is only something that currently only has Debian 12 and where you have to investigate thoroughly to understand where the problem lies. In the meantime, I hope that with the definitive version the problem disappears in any case...

MauryG5

• View Profile
Kernel 6.3 problems continue with Debian 12
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 01:38:38 pm »
Guys I did the latest Debian 12 updates, installed the packages to manage the new Kernel 6.3, installed the same Kernel 6.3 but it still doesn't work and we are talking about the official Debian one this time. So there is at this point, at least on Power, a real problem of the new Kernels from 6.2 onwards that Debian 12 can't get working. I hope the Debian developers on Power can shed some light on this situation because now there is a real problem that prevents us from carrying forward the Kernel on Debian...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2023, 05:47:46 am »
I also tried the new Kernel 6.4.1 stable on Debian 12 but unfortunately there is the same problem here too. The new Kernels don't work on Debian 12, the nice thing is that the official one, now at version 6.3.0.2, doesn't work either... I don't understand what is happening with Debian 12 and the new Kernels. Possibly it's still our problem on Power because I don't think the X86 version has these problems, they would have already noticed it I think at this point and after all this time...