Author Topic: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS  (Read 1416 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:04:45 pm »
Guys I tried to update Ubuntu 21.10 with the new version 22.04 because now I've been keeping Ubuntu installed on a hardisk for some time and I like to try the news and see how it goes. What I can essentially say are 2 things, the first is that from the point of view of the general management of the operating system, Ubuntu confirms itself as the best there is currently on Power. The fluidity in moving the various pages and the whole Gnome 42 is truly fabulous, better than 21.10 which still had some uncertainty while still being overall good and well usable. So while fedora gets worse and worse and you are forced to manually install optimizations, Ubuntu is getting better and better and currently has the best handling of Gnome 4X that there is on Power. The second thing I noticed is that the more it evolves graphically and in general management, the more it regresses in terms of software in general. Let me explain better, his damned criticisms increase more and more! All this is incredible and it gets on a lot of nerves honestly because it's a shame to see a distro that is so good on a technical level and then gets totally lost in use. In the meantime, the first thing that catches the eye is that Firefox, which was already suffering from big perennial problems, of which I have spoken to you several times, as if by magic it totally disappears and you never see it again ... It has disappeared from me. pure Grub Customizer which I used to manage the 5.15.X Kernel booting. I tried to insert the Raptor repositories for Chromium and once I save, if I try to reopen the software & update to insert the key, the application doesn't open anymore and I have to remove the Raptor repositories ... I didn't go further because 'already' I was nervous enough and I gave up from continuing to try but probably if I continue I also find other criticisms that have always been present on this distro on Power and have never been resolved. So I wonder how it is possible that still no one tests this distro to try to fix all these criticisms that have always afflicted him, crazy, I'm speechless ...

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 10:15:46 am »
Ubuntu is using more and more snap instead of deb packages.

Firefox seems to be available only as snap now in 22.04 so if you uninstall snap(d) you no longer can install Firefox easily :-(

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 03:16:40 pm »
YES I saw something like this, only I also read that if you want, you can install the .deb version again, only that it takes the repositories rightly but the problem is that when you try to download them it tells you that they are not there. I did a little research and I had found the repositories to be able to install it but it tells me that they do not exist ... So it is necessary to understand in the meantime where these repositories can be first of all ... I also tried to install Chromium but also that not me he does install it because he asks me for a library that apparently does not exist on Ubuntu ... The Browser situation therefore at the moment on Ubuntu remains very very strange, I don't understand it ...

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 03:25:48 pm »
Ubuntu is using more and more snap instead of deb packages.

Firefox seems to be available only as snap now in 22.04 so if you uninstall snap(d) you no longer can install Firefox easily :-(

I hope this is a trend that stays contained within Ubuntu. We don't need windows style software packaging infesting Linux desktop.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11