Author Topic: Want more options for Blackbird™ Secure Desktop  (Read 4543 times)

odalman

• View Profile
Want more options for Blackbird™ Secure Desktop
« on: January 29, 2020, 03:41:47 am »
My current computer is on overtime and should be replaced as soon as possible. I could buy components but would prefer a bundle. But the Blackbird™ Secure Desktop has very limited options. I would like to select:
  • version 2 of the CPU
  • 8 cores
  • 32 GiB RAM

And I need to get it into the European Economic Area. I have read the rumors about Vikings. I also have loose plans for a tourist trip to the USA and might order the wares to a hotel (if so only mainboard, CPU, cooler and maybe RAM and Workstation Graphics) and bring it home in the hand luggage.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
Re: Want more options for Blackbird™ Secure Desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 12:13:56 pm »
And I need to get it into the European Economic Area.

If you order yourself my recommendation is avoiding USPS as parcel service (costs "only" about 70 Euros but is also only insured with 200 USD, my order took 4 weeks
- a lot of time to intercept and manipulate something).

Customs clearance will be done automatically by DHL or if you use another parcel service you have to pick up your package at the local customs office and pay the tax (abt. the VAT).
Problem: If your package is worth more than 1000 Euros you have to fill a complicated form which may cause punishment if you do something wrong (eg. using the wrong product code).
Help for filling this form may cost additional 30 - 70 Euros - in my case an import/export campany nearby the customs office offered this service.

Edit: I forgot to mention that faster parcel services cost about 300 Euros and that you have to pay the VAT on the shipping costs too!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:23:22 pm by FlyingBlackbird »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
About the Secure Desktop, I think there are options as hell. You only have to ask Raptor ;)
I'm located in Germany. In this case the customs are equal to VAT (19%).

And regarding Vikings, the more people show interest, the faster things will change. At the latest when Raptor brings out the POWER10 or a notebook I will ask Vikings about it, too. My delivery took two weeks.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 02:31:12 pm »
the Blackbird™ Secure Desktop has very limited options. I would like to select:... 8 cores...

I have 8 cores and just measured the height of the heat sink (3 HU with fan which is required since the 8 core CPU has 160 W TDP while the 4 core CPU has only 90 W TDP which should allow passive cooling with smaller 2 HU heat sink with a fan): 12 cm (about 3 inches) from the motherboard level to the highest point

This means in a small cesktop case there is probably not enough space for that.

If your are thinking about a desktop replacement also consider that a cold start (no power) requires about two minutes to boot the OpenBMC BIOS replacement ("computer in the computer") and another 2 minutes for a warm start boot so it can take up to almost 5 minutes until you can work. This is the price to pay for openness, security and freedom...

odalman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:28:41 am »
A slightly larger case would be fine. Maybe I could accept 4 cores. Especially if 8 cores is much louder. Boot time should not be a problem since I usually leave computers on. I assume that there is power management that adapts power consumption to load.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 10:39:17 am »
WARNING: Due to the heatsink design, an external air duct must be utilized if using this heatsink outside of a high airflow 2U server chassis, for example in a desktop system. This heatsink is not designed for passive cooling without an external fan and, if required by a non-2U chassis, an external air duct.

2U Heatsink

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:53:27 am »
WARNING: Due to the heatsink design, an external air duct must be utilized if using this heatsink outside of a high airflow 2U server chassis, for example in a desktop system. This heatsink is not designed for passive cooling without an external fan and, if required by a non-2U chassis, an external air duct.

2U Heatsink

Also relevant: 2U fan shroud assembly
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:07:37 pm »
Also relevant: 2U fan shroud assembly

Nice hack (in the complementary sense)! ;D

odalman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 06:57:05 am »
Now version 2 of the CPU is an option.