Author Topic: Could Intel DG2 the missing piece of the puzzle for ppc64le workstation?  (Read 3474 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
Intel is working hard to get DG2 GPU driver ready for Linux 5.18. From what I know so far Intel has confirmed the driver would also work for 64k pagesize kernel.
If the Intel team can deliver a better Linux driver, I surely would replace my AMD GPU with an DG2.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
If the GPU appears at some point, of course. On the other side, I don't have problems with my Navi.

tle

• View Profile
With so much pain I’ve experienced every single time I update the kernel, I just dread of having an AMD GPU card. If there is a decent 3D accelerated and fully built-in GPU, i would love to see Raptor adopt it

My Raptor Blackbird

tle

• View Profile
Time to revive this post. The Intel ARC is finally here! The A380 has been available in China. Phoronix is going to test this card under Linux 6.0rc2 and mesa-git. Let's see if the driver quality of Intel is better than that of AMD

My Raptor Blackbird

tle

• View Profile

My Raptor Blackbird

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Hey, that’s cool. I don’t think it’d be faster than the Radeon Pro W5500 I’m using now, though Arc supports raytracing. Who wants to jump on the grenade and see if 5.20, Arc, and ppc64le get along?

tle

• View Profile
I am only interested in its capability of AV1 encoding/decoding + oneAPI

My Raptor Blackbird

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Unfortunately, as expected, the performance of the card is laughable like any other Intel GPU. The only interesting thing is the price.
https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-arc-a380-linux

Hasturtium

• View Profile
Unfortunately, as expected, the performance of the card is laughable like any other Intel GPU. The only interesting thing is the price.
https://www.phoronix.com/review/intel-arc-a380-linux

I dunno about laughable, it's just inconsistent. These are still raw drivers, especially on the OpenGL side. It's a little startling to see a Radeon 5500XT walk away from it so often - I don't feel bad about running a W5500 in my Blackbird. Nevertheless AV1 encode/decode, out-of-the-box OpenCL, raytracing support, and the low price point are pretty appealing. Maybe I'll stash one of these in a testbed x86_64 machine I'm thinking of putting together later this year and putting it through its paces in Linux.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Okay for that price maybe not. But it won't get any better. But choice is always good.

r34per

• View Profile
Re: Could Intel DG2 the missing piece of the puzzle for ppc64le workstation?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 07:56:47 am »
Is there a chance that linux ppc64el will have support for the arc line of gpu's now that most of the models are out, or is it too soon to say? I'd be interested in picking up an a380 or a310 for my blackbird. Both of them would make for a good inexpensive card for encode/decode in hardware.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 08:40:17 am »
Hasturtium has such a card already. He is only waiting for a updated version of Mesa 22.2 and Linux 6 on VoidLinux to test the card.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 05:42:31 am »
As an update, our very own tle attempted to get an A770 working, to no avail. It appears Intel has not refactored the driver for non-x86 platforms yet. They’ve made statements previously about doing so, and it was reported in a quick piece on Phoronix, so let’s hope progress is made there in the near future.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 07:26:19 pm »
Per Phoronix, it looks like Intel's preparing to merge new DRM code for its xe driver fork from the i915 driver. This driver's being brought up on both x86_64 and aarch64 to ensure broad platform compatibility. It may be a while before the driver's well-tuned, but it sounds like they've been smart to promote its 12th gen video and Arc cards to a new driver infrastructure... and I'm very much looking forward to playing with Intel's great H.264/H.265/AV1 encoder on Power.