Author Topic: Compiling and Updating BMC  (Read 1914 times)

markr87

• View Profile
Compiling and Updating BMC
« on: February 06, 2022, 02:48:19 pm »
Working on a Blackbird/Fedora via debian-chroot, I was able to self compile "blackbird.pnor". 

I am stuck with a
"OSError: [Errno 38] Function not implemented
)
ERROR: Unable to connect to bitbake server, or start one"
while Building the OpenBMC firmware.

I had decided to just download the pre-compiled version and became a little confused.  The instructions for self compiling say you should end up with 2 files,  "image-rofs" and "image-kernel" but when I open the pre-compiled version it contains only one file, "blackbird-v2.00-image-bmc".

EDIT: So, if updating via shell you use the web_ipmi_upgrade and if updating via the web you use the shell_upgrade?  I'm sure this makes sense to everybody else but I invert my x-y axis on FPS's. ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:33:00 pm by markr87 »

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Compiling and Updating BMC
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 01:06:44 pm »
Working on a Blackbird/Fedora via debian-chroot, I was able to self compile "blackbird.pnor". 

I am stuck with a
"OSError: [Errno 38] Function not implemented
)
ERROR: Unable to connect to bitbake server, or start one"
while Building the OpenBMC firmware.

I had decided to just download the pre-compiled version and became a little confused.  The instructions for self compiling say you should end up with 2 files,  "image-rofs" and "image-kernel" but when I open the pre-compiled version it contains only one file, "blackbird-v2.00-image-bmc".

EDIT: So, if updating via shell you use the web_ipmi_upgrade and if updating via the web you use the shell_upgrade?  I'm sure this makes sense to everybody else but I invert my x-y axis on FPS's. ;)

Error 38 from Python means you don't have SHM (proc etc.) bind mounted in your chroot.

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 02:03:20 pm »
Error 38 from Python means you don't have SHM (proc etc.) bind mounted in your chroot.

Correction: /dev is typically where the missing SHM node is located, so you need to bind mount /dev into your chroot.

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 02:53:35 pm »
Thank you for your quick response.  Your assessment was spot on. After a quick "sudo mount --bind /dev ~/debian-chroot/dev" I was able to compile sort of-ish.  Now I get "Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:58:53 pm by markr87 »

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 12:15:50 pm »
Thank you for your quick response.  Your assessment was spot on. After a quick "sudo mount --bind /dev ~/debian-chroot/dev" I was able to compile sort of-ish.  Now I get "Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code."

Did the build process generate the ROM file?  If so, the errors can be ignored, if not, then you should delete the build directory and try again as the lack of SHM might have corrupted the build state enough to stop ROM generation.

markr87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 01:54:06 pm »
It did not produce any ROM files.  Deleting the build directory returned same results.