Author Topic: Clone hardisk Linux  (Read 2177 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Clone hardisk Linux
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:38:15 am »
Power friends good morning, I have a question to ask you, I would like to clone the hard drive containing Debian 11 and bring it to SSD, currently being that I was just testing it, I have it on a mechanical hard drive.  What is the best procedure you recommend, without obviously doing damage?  Thanks always!

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Clone hardisk Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 10:48:04 am »
Guys cloning I managed to do it by myself using DD. Now I find the new SSD, exactly like the source disk, I mounted it in the root partition but I don't understand now how to make it bootable like the original one. What procedure should be used to make this clone bootable with Debian?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 11:38:37 am »
What exact command did you use? If you copied all the partitions with dd, it should 'just work'.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 12:43:28 pm »
i used exactly this: sudo dd if = / dev / sda of = / dev / sdb bs = 64K conv = noerror, sync

Except that now I'm having a doubt, isn't it that by chance when you do the cloning, you have to physically unmount the source hard drive, otherwise the system continues to load only the one not seeing the other as identical? I still left the original one, regularly uploaded to the computer ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 02:18:29 am »
No Classic, I answered myself, this thing escaped me, I did not know that when you clone a hardisk, one of the 2 you have to disassemble it otherwise he sees 2 identical things and continues to make the source work. It's the first time I've ever done a cloning. Everything ok now I'm writing from the cloned one and it works perfect and I also bought a much higher speed obviously! Thank you

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 07:26:52 pm »
The problem after cloning is that the UUID of the harddisk is also cloned. This means, you have to change one UUID.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 01:11:53 am »
And I think it will be the one who does not allow you to see both at the same time, you do not think about it at the moment.  Then I got the doubt and in fact now having removed the origin, the new one works perfectly.  I don't need to change UUID because now I only keep the new one, I leave the old one only as a spare.  Thank you all!

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 10:24:47 am »
Which UUID you change doesn't matter ...