Author Topic: New Kernel 5.16 and new problem  (Read 9156 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: New Kernel 5.16 and new problem
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2022, 04:38:07 pm »
Hi matgraf, yes I just finished compiling and installing on Debian too. Everything was fine on Debian as well as you can see in the picture. I also used make bindeb-pkg after make menuconfig. After he created the files with extension .deb, I gave the command to have all 4 installed then I ran dpkg -i linux - *. Deb and he installed the generated .deb files and then automatically updated the grub. Right now I'm writing from Debian with Kernel 5.17.4. Great job thanks matgraf!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2022, 02:01:47 pm »
Guys I also wanted to point out 2 other things about this new Kernel 5.17, the first is that Debian now loads with a few seconds less and it was already fast on its own, so in practice I gained a few seconds of loading speed and then I don't have needed to make that famous setting amdgpu.asm = 0. Not if this thing is always due to the patch of his friend matgraf or if it is something that they have solved with the new kernel, the fact is that it is no longer needed.

matgraf

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:23 pm »
Didn't know I can ditch amdgpu.aspm=0 now. Thanks for the information! I am always looking forward to get as close to stock debian sid with as few tweaks as possible.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2022, 03:52:07 pm »
Yes matgraf I confirm that I am no longer using that setting and the kernel starts regularly, I thought you had experienced it too but in any case here we are here to help each other and give us information so I'm happy that the information you be served! Even on Ubuntu it starts without that line, you don't need it anymore! Now we hope that as soon as possible the official Kernel team will serialize your fix patch on all future Kernels so we won't even have to boot it on every new kernel to be compiled.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2022, 04:46:17 am »
Hello everyone, I tested the new Kernel 5.18 just released, I can tell you that you can finally compile and install the new kernel on Power without having to make any changes. They also fixed the last problem for which friend matgraf had to create the patch. Now you can compile and install your own custom Kernel without having to change anything. Tested on Ubuntu, in the next few days I will install it in a definitive stable version also on Debian.