Author Topic: Clion, VSCode, IDE options?  (Read 3754 times)

Woof

• View Profile
Clion, VSCode, IDE options?
« on: December 12, 2021, 08:10:37 am »
Hi! My first post... I'm waiting for my Talos II to arrive and have a question regarding IDE options. Having been spoiled with the choice of IDEs on x64 what will my options be on Power? Hopefully I'm not going to be stuck with gcc, gdb and a text editor? The answer to that shouldn't be clang and lldb...

Eclipse looks to prebuilt for IBM's Advance Toolchain, so I'm assuming I can get that running? Any other good choices?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Clion, VSCode, IDE options?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 11:35:54 am »
VSCode, Code Blocks and Eclipse are available, depending on the distribution. Netbeans I dunno.

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 01:54:04 pm »
VSCode with native compiler integration, step debugging, etc.?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 05:45:59 pm »
I never used any of these. I only saw it in the repo. But I hardly guess.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 06:29:37 pm »
Eclipse and IntelliJ work fine. Haven't tried VSCode.

mparnaudeau

• Freelance software developer and PPC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 05:09:44 am »
It was expected as ClassicHasClass reported that IntelliJ was working fine but I confirm it's the same with CLion, my preferred IDE  :D

About VSCode, I see there that the support of Linux ppc64le was requested without success.

There is a project fork with support of ppc64el but changes were made in 2019 on VSCode 1.41.1. I tried to build but that stops on an error about Python2 syntax  :-\

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 07:44:24 am »

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 09:33:42 am »
Resurrecting this...

I've been using Eclipse CDT for a while now and it's a little clunky. Importing a CMake project works fine-ish (backed by a Makefile), it builds but is full of erroneous errors, though the debugger works as expected so that's good. Trying to get a CMake/Ninja project to work, to have a multi-core build, has the same 100s of errors to ignore but won't let me debug. In general it's usable of sorts, and has good SVN and Git integration, but I'd really like something better.

mparnaudeau mentioned CLion, which I'd be very interested in using, but last I read it was missing the debugger adapter or some other closed-source component? Do you have more info on this?

MPC7500 mentions VSCode on Void being up-to-date, but I settled on running Debian so I'm not able to try this.

As for other options, I tried Kate with CMake and it wasn't a good experience. It builds and lets me set breakpoints, but then inspecting variables seems to only work via gdb.

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 09:16:24 pm »
VScode is up-to-date on Void and works
https://github.com/void-ppc/void-packages/tree/master/srcpkgs/vscode

Yep, seconding this - works fine for Python, C, and C++. Only wrinkle was that I needed to enable 2D canvas rendering, otherwise the integrated terminal didn't properly render text. I do hope VSCode continues to be supported with the switch to Chimera.

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 10:53:19 am »
I took another look at CLion and followed the (brief) instructions for getting it running on non-supported CPUs. It's kinda lengthy to get it all going (it needs the JetBrains JDK building, which needs boostrapping with JDK19, which itself needs bootstrapping with JDK18... which needs bootstrapping with JDK17, which at least is available in Debian's repo).

The only thing I've found not to work is the clangd integration (which needs JetBrain's own) but everything else works great. It's a Java IDE but I guess I have to do something with my CPUs...

I didn't try VSCode, so I don't know how much work it is to getting running on Debian.

But to answer myself or anyone else wondering which native IDEs work on Power9 with Debian: Eclipse CDT and CLion, and so far I'm quite happy with CLion.

mparnaudeau

• Freelance software developer and PPC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 03:19:30 pm »
The only thing I've found not to work is the clangd integration (which needs JetBrain's own) but everything else works great. It's a Java IDE but I guess I have to do something with my CPUs...

So, how did you get clang-tidy inspections (visible on your screenshot) as I understand they use clangd?

I found a ticket in the JetBrains bugtracker to support an ARM64 version of clangd. Someone mentions he made clangd working using qemu but the procedure seems to be too short.
I also found an article about running x86_64 executables on ppc64le but it makes me going too far ... and my Debian still has the default 64 KB pages, so it seems  there is zero chance to make all that working.

Quote from: Woof
But to answer myself or anyone else wondering which native IDEs work on Power9 with Debian: Eclipse CDT and CLion, and so far I'm quite happy with CLion.

Who would not be "quite happy with CLion" :-D

Woof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 05:03:40 am »
So, how did you get clang-tidy inspections (visible on your screenshot) as I understand they use clangd?

Probably a happy accident of my installing clang-tidy and clangd on my system (it's a few months ago, I may have built them from source) then symlinking them to where CLion expects to find the x64 versions (there are probably also tweaks to CLion's config files too).

I did read through the qemu stuff but was happy enough with how things were working that I didn't (yet) feel the need.

Continued use of Eclipse revealed problems with the debugger and CMake projects, but CLion continues to be usable (but confession time: I'm a full-fat Visual Studio fan and nothing beats it, not even CLion on x64, and especially not the slow-to-start Xcode on the fastest of Mac Studios).

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 11:51:24 am »
I also found an article about running x86_64 executables on ppc64le

You can just use QEMU's user mode for this. I use it for doing some Android work with the Google binary-only tools. Works fine with 64K pages (on this Fedora workstation).

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 06:37:04 pm »
It seems that VSCodium now supports ppc64le
https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/releases/tag/1.79.2.23166

Hasturtium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 01:37:38 pm »
It seems that VSCodium now supports ppc64le
https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/releases/tag/1.79.2.23166

This sounds really cool, but what do I do with the download? It appears to be partial compared to x86_64 and ARM64 - do I need to grab one of those tar.gz files, then unzip the contents of the ppc64le archive into it with some additional steps?