Author Topic: Proton on Power  (Read 1493 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Proton on Power
« on: November 27, 2021, 04:24:55 am »
Hello everyone, lately I have read some articles about the great development that the Proton application is having on Linux and I have also read that it is completely open source and therefore accessible. I searched first in the various sections of the forum but it seems to me that I have not yet found anything about it. Do you have any news if this Proton will also come to us on Power?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Proton on Power
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:18 pm »
At its core, Proton is a heavily jumped-up Wine. Wine is not an emulator, so it won't help us directly. It might be useful to be rolled into something like Hangover (which is Wine + QEMU) but that work wouldn't be trivial.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »
So do you think it is difficult to be able to make a version of Proton for our architecture? They say it works very well in porting games from Windows to Linux, that's why I thought it was interesting as an application ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 07:39:25 am »
Windows (x86) to Linux (x86). Not ppc64le.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 12:49:46 pm »
Yes, I know it normally does that work on X86 but I thought that if you could have the code available, you could also make a version for PPC64le but obviously you can't because it only works with X86, too bad ...