Author Topic: Blackbird Radeon RX580  (Read 9584 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Blackbird Radeon RX580
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 12:24:40 pm »
Hi Sharkcz, so you too have noticed that changes have been made starting from version 5.14 onwards, which have affected the functioning of AMD GPUs. Is it possible to hope for a correction in good times of this problem in the Linux Kernel by the Kernel team? I had written about the problem, already at the beginning of version 5.14 and therefore I tried to make everyone aware of this problem but at the time, unfortunately few followed me ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 01:13:01 pm »
I mainly use Ubuntu 20.04.3 with Xorg and the problem is the same, so I don't think it affects the graphics server.  They changed some damn parameters on the new Kernels and now we have problems and what's worse they still haven't solved it ...!  Classic sorry for Kernel options you mean when configuring the parameters?  Is there this option that you say must be set to 0?  Let me get it right ...

Yes, you want to change the kernel command line that Petitboot uses (which, unless you're doing something really strange, should be the same as Grub's). You don't need to rebuild the kernel for that option.

mcarden

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 07:32:47 pm »
@MPC7500, we have a winner!

Code: [Select]
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="modprobe.blacklist=ast"
...achieved the desired result.

Thanks!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 01:14:25 am »
Ok Classic, I just have to understand the exact procedure to do it too.  I remember well that when we first made these Navi work, for example, we changed a line in the petit Boot.  After loading, go to the command line and type this command: # nvram -p ibm, skiboot --update-config fast-reset = 0 # nvram -p ibm, skiboot --print-config "ibm, skiboot" Partition     
Now this has always been set on my motherboard, what else needs to be done, how exactly do you proceed from Petit Boot and which command should you enter? Thanks

sharkcz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 03:09:46 am »
grub is using the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable defined in /etc/grub/default to set the default value of the kernel parameters for the host Linux

sharkcz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 03:15:35 am »
Hi Sharkcz, so you too have noticed that changes have been made starting from version 5.14 onwards, which have affected the functioning of AMD GPUs. Is it possible to hope for a correction in good times of this problem in the Linux Kernel by the Kernel team? I had written about the problem, already at the beginning of version 5.14 and therefore I tried to make everyone aware of this problem but at the time, unfortunately few followed me ...
5.14 was OK for my WX4100, the breakage came with 5.15 rc1

The highest chance to get amdgpu driver issues fixed is to report them in the AMD bug tracker (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues) with an information what particular commit caused the issue (identified using the bisection process).

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 03:43:21 am »
Shark sorry, it means that I have to go to that path file you wrote me to eventually change the value and bring it to 0 as Classic says, I understand correctly?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 11:13:58 am »
@MPC7500, we have a winner!

Code: [Select]
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="modprobe.blacklist=ast"
...achieved the desired result.

Thanks!

This could still make things tricky in the unusual but by no means remote possibility something still goes wrong with the graphics card. It still sounds like a bug that this should be necessary (it wasn't before). I'll investigate this when I do my upgrade.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 12:58:54 pm »
@MauryG5: Follow this guide and replace the line with your desired line or change the GRUB file manually:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/kernel-module-driver-configuration/Working_with_the_GRUB_2_Boot_Loader/#sec-Making_Persistent_Changes_to_a_GRUB_2_Menu_Using_the_grubby_Tool

@mcarden: Great. I have to blacklist AST on Void also, otherwise even with a xorg.conf file, it doesn't work. I hardly guess on Fedora it only works accidentally.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 04:13:45 pm »
Sorry, you mean I have to make this line become: ~] # grubby --set-default /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.fc35.ppc64le? Would this be the change to be made to get it started with the AMD GPU?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2021, 06:54:47 pm »
You posted the link already.

... I'll post the link ...

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1723

You have to add amdgpu.aspm=0 on the kernel command line.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2021, 07:59:53 am »
Ok but what I didn't understand is what is this kernel command line and where is it sorry ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
Guys good evening, unfortunately the first attempt didn't succeed. I have had the procedure that posted the friend classic and I inserted that row that my friend mpc told me but unfortunately things worsen as well because the gpu goes out at a certain point ... in the picture you see what I did , I set the kernel 5.15.2 and I inserted that row. Maybe I have to change something else I don't know is that it is not at time unfortunately ... all this I am trying on Debian 11 where anyway there is the same software to change the grub or grub customizer ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2021, 03:48:45 pm »
I can't imagine that ClassicHasClass told you what you see in the screenshot. And I wrote that you should ADD the line, not replace it.
And after adding the line, you have to update GRUB.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:50:36 pm by MPC7500 »