Author Topic: [NEWS] Fedora 35 is out folks  (Read 4356 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
[NEWS] Fedora 35 is out folks
« on: November 03, 2021, 04:57:33 am »
Announcement: https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/fedora-linux-35-now-generally-available

I don’t expect the GNOME Shell would be smooth. It’s been sluggish since GNOME 40.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:39:58 am by tle »
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: [NEWS] Fedora 35 is out folks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:29:51 am »
The Fedora maintainers has only to fix it. They know the fix long time ago.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 08:25:09 pm »
The problem was the lack of SIMD in one of the libraries. That should be fixed by now.

I'll be updating probably this weekend-ish, so I'll advise.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 06:05:44 am »
Just updated to 35 as well and I confirm that it sucks exactly like the previous version.  I don't understand why after all this time and the reports made, they still haven't implemented this patch themselves ... It's really grotesque I would say, how this gnome works on Fedora!  Is there a wizard that you know of?  I don't know how to implement it manually unfortunately ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:03 pm »
Well I don't believe GNOME Shell / Mutter devs own PPC64LE/BE computers so it is very unlikely they would be able to pick up issues that are specific to PowerPC.

My Raptor Blackbird

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:27:11 pm »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 01:24:00 am »
But have any of you installed this graphene on Fedora 34 or 35 and noticed the actual improvement?

TLE, it will also be true that they do not have Power machines to detect any bugs but I do not think that Canonical of Ubuntu has more machines to test the desktop versions considering also that Ubuntu on Power does not have workstation versions while Fedora for some years has ... Yet Ubuntu from the software optimization side I saw that it is the best in direct comparison with Fedora and Debian ... Gnome 40 on Ubuntu is fine, runs well without problems!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:38:30 am by MauryG5 »

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:47:08 pm »
On F34, I'm using the juiced graphene, and yes, it was a major improvement. It looks like F35 still didn't pick it up.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »
Guys I tried to install graphene following the procedure that MPC has posted but nothing changes in Fedora 35, always sucks the same way it does. Is it necessary to do some other passage that I have not seen? Do you have to do some activation for this Graphene to work?

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 11:54:56 pm »
That's it:
https://github.com/ebassi/graphene/pull/233

I can see the PR was created in July yet there is no release since April so it is very unlikely that Fedora 35 or any other distro would have picked up this change.

My Raptor Blackbird

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 07:58:02 am »
Sure. Void has.

vmlinuz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 02:30:29 pm »
I'm using Fedora 35 with KDE and have had only success. I don't use Gnome anymore because I don't like the developers' attitude, at this rate it really shouldn't even be Free Software anymore.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 02:54:04 pm »
Aside from free software or not, Fedora is to blame for not curating the Power version. Ubuntu with Gnome 40 is something else entirely, continuing at this rate I will remove Fedora from my hard disks because it is shameful!

vmlinuz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 03:20:02 pm »
Why is it shameful though? KDE is a superior product for those who prefer a traditional desktop experience, i.e. most people who still use tower desktops with a keyboard and mouse. It is somewhat more heavyweight than Gnome but vastly more versatile, and POWER9 is more than up to the task. I highly recommend giving it a shot even if you don't plan on switching.

Gnome's imperialism against developers, integrators and users alike - the kind of crap you would expect from Apple - is reason enough for me to switch, but it really is up to you and what kind of user experience you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:24:07 pm by vmlinuz »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 01:11:04 am »
Vmlinuz yes I understand what you say, KDE I know it well, I installed it long ago on Ubuntu and I use it in combination with the Gnome session for a hybrid that I really like.  The problem in my opinion, however, is only one, too similar to Windows as a graphical interface and for those who want to deviate from Windows it is not good.  I want something different and that represents Linux and in the field Gnome is the one that does it better than all the others so that's why it pisses me off its untreated operation on Fedora, especially since it has been reported several times to the Fedora team and more today they did nothing!